Now is time for child support - TN

Status
Not open for further replies.

angeladjr

I have been divorced for 3 years with joint custody of our 2 daughters, 15 and 18 in August, at the time it was decided there would be no support, my ex does have primary because of 2 - 6 extra hours a week. The girls are with me Mon - Thur. My current husband and I have custody of his three and their mom is 2 miles away but does not attempt to contact or support the children.We decided in Jan.08 for me to stay home to take care of the 5 kids while my current husband is on a job site until Sept08, coming home every other weekend. Can I asked for support through the system and what are my chances? I make 0.00 he makes I guess around 110,000.00 plus bonus yearly. We do fine but the help would be wee, helpful. Please advise

Not sure what state you are in but if your ex has primary placement, he should be getting CS from you technically. He is not responsible for the other kids in your care. not sure how you would be awarded CS. You are voluntarily unemployed. If you ask for CS because you do not work, plan on opening up a big can of worms.

I understand you hostility towards this subject, but my being unemployed my my own wish is not a problem. Didn't ask for him to take care of the other kids. My husband makes a good living and takes care of 7 people. Tn law states a fair cs based on income of both parents.I was intending the information to be bit of a background hoping for some insight.Thanks Their father is out of town 75% percent of the time with the girls staying here. Only by the papers does it appear he has them a few hours longer.Alot of time his stepchildren stay here when they are out of town.

Not sure what state you are in but if your ex has primary placement, he should be getting CS from you technically. He is not responsible for the other kids in your care. not sure how you would be awarded CS. You are voluntarily unemployed. If you ask for CS because you do not work, plan on opening up a big can of worms.

I agree.

Poster may hire a lawyer and ask for more support but should be prepared for a big fight.

The fact that you do in fact have the children the majority of the time now does, in my opinion open you up to go back to court. He may have primary custody on paper - but he doesn't have them 2-6 hours more than you do any longer. The situation has changed, so I think you could in fact go back to court for primary, and child support.

For the record, I believe Duranie's comment that you are voluntarily unemployed was simply stating fact, and not hostile. I think Duranie was pointing out (as the court would) that your X shouldn't have to pay support for your kids because you decided not to work. Of course, this was going by what you stated in your original post - that he had them more then you did. which is not the case at thie point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back