Roomate Notice to leave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irate_Roomate

I am a roommate. My friend pays the rent directly to the landlord and she did not sign a lease or agreement. I pay my portion to my friend directly every month. We do not have a problem but we work together as well and hence we now have am issue. She wanted me to work for her a couple of days and then she would work back the time for me. We do it all the time however, on this particular day I had an appointment which I had to keep. I informed her days before so that she could make other arrangements.

She did not say anything but on the day that I had my appointment she advised me that I needed to leave within 30 days because it is not working out.

I know I have to leave but what if I do not get somewhere within the 30 days will I be out on the streets then or can something be done for an extension. We had no prior problems and we have been living together since April this year. I pay a portion of the gas and electricity bills directly to her and had never missed a payment on either utilities or rent.

She had not given me a notice in writing just a phone call. I am leaving but is there something else I can do?

Irate Roomate said:
I am a roommate. My friend pays the rent directly to the landlord and she did not sign a lease or agreement. I pay my portion to my friend directly every month. We do not have a problem but we work together as well and hence we now have am issue. She wanted me to work for her a couple of days and then she would work back the time for me. We do it all the time however, on this particular day I had an appointment which I had to keep. I informed her days before so that she could make other arrangements.

She did not say anything but on the day that I had my appointment she advised me that I needed to leave within 30 days because it is not working out.

I know I have to leave but what if I do not get somewhere within the 30 days will I be out on the streets then or can something be done for an extension. We had no prior problems and we have been living together since April this year. I pay a portion of the gas and electricity bills directly to her and had never missed a payment on either utilities or rent.

She had not given me a notice in writing just a phone call. I am leaving but is there something else I can do?

She can ask you to leave.
You can ignore her, agree, or refuse.
If you refuse, she has to evict you.
You have the same rights as she does.
You're a tenant in a month to month tenancy.
You can Google the law for month to month tenants in your state.
If you refuse, she will have to follow the eviction laws for your state to get you out.
The problem for her is, she has no valid reason to evict you.

Bottom line, if you want more time to locate a place, ignore her.
In 30 days, she will have to start eviction proceedings, if you're not out.
That process buys you more time to find you a suitable apartment in which to live.

Don't tell her what you know, or she could get nasty.

Just be nice, and get busy finding a new home, assured in the knowledge you have the time you need to secure new digs!

You won't be out on the street.
You don't HAVE to do anything until a judge tells you to.
If the friendship has gone south it may be best to move along... or SHE can move!
Don't worry though. Her 30 day notice means absolutely nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back