Not Upholding Divorce Decree

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAORVA

My ex-wife and I have been divorced for about 6 months now. In our divorce decree we both agreed and it states that I would get the home which had two mortgages on it and and I would refinance it under my name within 5 years. I upheld my part of the decree and refinanced the house within 5 months.

My ex-wife agreed and it so states in the decree that she would take over all the credit card bills, those in both of our names and one that listed me as the primary. The reason for this was because she took everything that was worth anything (most purchased on credit cards by her) and she proposed and agreed that this was a fair split of the debt. Even though the house debt was way more than the credit cards put together but I went along with it.

Anyway, I have learned that she has not made a payment in 6 months on this one credit that is up to about $5,000 dollars now and of course it's the credit card that has me listed as the primary. (this account has been closed but with the late fees the amount continues to go up).

Two Questions??

1. Can I file something with the court to force her to pay this bill (some type of contempt motion)? What would it mean if I went this route and she still doesn't pay the bill?

2. What if I find a way to pay this bill in full myself. What do I have to do or what documents do I have to file in order to get a judgment against her to repay me the money back? What if I get such a judgment and she doesn't pay me back, what would be my recourse then?

Can I do all of this myself or do I have to hire an expensive lawyer?

Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back