1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Not sure where this goes...

Discussion in 'Consumer Fraud & Scams' started by VindictiveV, Jan 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VindictiveV

VindictiveV Law Topic Starter Guest

Jurisdiction:
    New York
    I just received a phone call at work stating the local police were at my house. They were looking for my girlfriend's sister, who has local warrants for her arrest which she is evading.
    Her sister currently lives in Las Vegas and local law enforcement knows this, but cannot bring her back to NY for non-violent bench warrants.
    The police were at my door, however, because she began seeking credit cards out by using MY address without my permission. Is this fraudulent? Is there a way I can press charges that would be serious enough to extradite her back to New York? She is a total scumbag and deserves to meet justice for what she has done.

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Fraud, maybe.
    Can you press charges?
    No, charges are preferred by the prosecutor, after a police investigation, or a grand jury indictment.

I suggest you stay out of the entire sordid affair.

Otherwise, WHEN the feces hits the fan, you'll get some blown on you.

3. txls

txls Well-Known Member

If she tried to get credit cards using your address but she was not successful then their probably isn't anything you can do, but you should direct your question to the police.