not receiving overtime over 40 hrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

circ

I worked hourly for a company (in MI) and received overtime for hours worked over 80 hours over two weeks, though legally (I believe?) it has to be over 40 per week. There were many times when I and other employees would work 60 hours in a week and then be asked to work only 20 the following week to balance it out. Now that I no longer work there and won't lose my job over fighting it, I would like to report this. We were paid on the 15th and 30th, not every other week - so in determining how many overtime hours I was slighted, what constitutes a week? Ex: 7 days week 1, 8 days week 2??!?! thoughts - ?

With just a few exceptions for specific occupations, all non-exempt employees must be paid time an a-half for all hours worked over 40 in each 7-day fixed payroll period. Pay frequency makes no difference. If your employer is not complying with wage and hour laws, you can either (a) suggest to them that they're in violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act and that perhaps they should look into that immediately, or (b) contact MI's Department of Labor and file a complaint.

If your employer is good to work for overall, I'd suggest you try option A first. There's quite a few employers that foolishly rely on "common sense" in making wage and hour and other employment related decisions and have no idea they're violating the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back