not married, with child

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicolet

I am a new mom of a 3month old girl. The father and I are not married and he says he doesn't think we need to get married because "we are already committed to each other", and "marriage is just a piece of paper".
We have been seeing each other on and off for almost 4 years. I have doubts that things will work out with us. The baby was not planned, I had a blood clot and was taken off the pill and pregnant quickly.
I have my own home with a mortgage and he has his own home with a mortgage. He moved into my place Jan 1, 2008, but never officially changed his address or anything. The plan is that he is supposed to get an addition on his house, then we will move there, and sell my home. I have been paying all the bills at my house except the electric bill up until the middle of June when my pregnancy disability checks stopped. We do not have a joint account for the bills, so if I need any money I have to ask and ask and remind him to give me money towards things. I gave him an itemized list of my expenses months ago.
Prior to getting pregnant I worked one full-time job and one per diem job. The per diem job, that gave me an additional $600/month, I had to stop with the pregnancy because it was too many hours to work per my Obstetrician. I have recently started back to work just one day a week for now, and I will work more starting in Sept. because I do not have health insurance for myself with out a job and COBRA is too expensive. I have had the baby 24/7 and have been the one arranging for childcare and doing all the work at home. He has a good job, a software engineer making over $100,000/year, has never been married and has no other children and is 44years old.
My question is, even though we live together, do I file for child support? Do I sell my home and move into his home having no partnership with the mortgage? Is there anything I am missing or not considering? I want to protect myself and my baby and I am trying to be realistic. thanks:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back