Not Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replaced2004

I have worked for a "not for profit" association for almost ten years. Last year my supervisor decided that he would transition a major portion of my job responsibilities into a new position. It was decided that the new position would require specific certifications and degrees that I do not have. Even though I had been performing the duties for almost fice years, I was told not to apply for the position. I did, however, apply but did not get the position. It went to an outside candidate whom met all required qualifications. Over six months later, my job description was changed deleting the "new" position's responsibilities and adding lower level tasks. Although the changes have not affected my pay check (yet), I was told that I would have to cover for the "new" higher level position that I supposedly did not qualify for. Although this may not be fair - is there any legal basis to stand on? I know Maryland is an "at will" employment state, which seems to mean they can fire me without cause and I can quit anytime. Is there any legal protection against being "required" to do someone else job -- that used to be mine -- but given away to someone else who more makes money than me?

This is not legal Advice.

This is just to try and give you another outlook on you position.
You said, that you have been employed with this company for ten years? you also said that the job discription had changed and you were asked not to apply for the new position.

Think of it like this ten years ago, company's were goverened under a lot of different rules and regulations. Maybe your company has been told to work within certain guidlines? you are most definatly a very valuble employee otherwise you would have been long gone.
You said yourself you did not meet the requirments of the new position and that is maybe why they asked you not to apply. You are quite capable of doing the job at hand, Why not try to have a word with your boss to see if you can get the relevent education, so you can get back up the ladder.

Sometimes you must do all in your powers to try every angle and different approach, so at least you know for SURE where you stand. Then you can make a dission as to whether you think your company are messing you around.

Good Luck

Replaced2004 said:
I have worked for a "not for profit" association for almost ten years. Last year my supervisor decided that he would transition a major portion of my job responsibilities into a new position. It was decided that the new position would require specific certifications and degrees that I do not have. Even though I had been performing the duties for almost fice years, I was told not to apply for the position. I did, however, apply but did not get the position. It went to an outside candidate whom met all required qualifications. Over six months later, my job description was changed deleting the "new" position's responsibilities and adding lower level tasks. Although the changes have not affected my pay check (yet), I was told that I would have to cover for the "new" higher level position that I supposedly did not qualify for. Although this may not be fair - is there any legal basis to stand on? I know Maryland is an "at will" employment state, which seems to mean they can fire me without cause and I can quit anytime. Is there any legal protection against being "required" to do someone else job -- that used to be mine -- but given away to someone else who more makes money than me?
Were the certifications and degrees a required part of the position by law or was this decided by management for appearances sake? Unfortunately this is not a simple case for you since it would seem that you have the answer already. Regarding the requirements of your job, I'm wondering whether it is a little bit of a stretch to say that someone else is in a position but you are performing their duties while they are collecting the salary. Would it be out of line that their perspective might be that they are trying to delegate tasks with some informality? I don't know that there is any law that will protect you in this situation although I can certainly understand why you feel that you should have seniority regarding your position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back