Not a lawyer joke or story but

adjusterjack

Super Moderator
I'm curious to see who your favorite lawyers are in the movies, TV, and literature.

I'll start with:

"Whiplash Willie" Gingrich, Walter Matthau's character in The Fortune Cookie.

Vinny Gambini, Joe Pesci's character in My Cousin Vinny.

Perry Mason (of course).

Donald Lam. Written by Erle Stanley Gardner under the pen name A. A. Fair, Lam is an attorney turned private detective after getting disbarred for opining on how to commit the perfect murder and get away with it.

I'm curious to see who your favorite lawyers are in the movies, TV, and literature.

I'll start with:

"Whiplash Willie" Gingrich, Walter Matthau's character in The Fortune Cookie.

Vinny Gambini, Joe Pesci's character in My Cousin Vinny.

Perry Mason (of course).

Donald Lam. Written by Erle Stanley Gardner under the pen name A. A. Fair, Lam is an attorney turned private detective after getting disbarred for opining on how to commit the perfect murder and get away with it.

The Lincoln Lawyer (movie) as portrayed by Matthew McConauhey

Matlock portrayed by Andy Griffith

Perry Mason portrayed by Raymond Burr

To Kill a Mockingbird -Atticus Finch portrayed by Gregory Peck

JAG (TV Show) great ensemble cast

Both Matthew McConaughey and Anthony Hopkins in Amistad.

Bob Odenkirk as Saul Goodman/Jimmy McGill in Better Call Saul/Breaking Bad.

Mr. Slant, the zombie lawyer of Anhk-Morpork from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.

How could I forget the most famous and the funniest TV lawyer of all time?

The illustrious, acclaimed, accomplished Jackie Chiles (portrayed by Phil Morris) of Seinfeld fame.

My favorite TV or movie lawyer is Jackie Chiles, ESQ.

Its outrageous, egregious, and preposterous!

jackiechiles.jpg

Without repeating many already mentioned:

Daniel Webster (not the real person, but the character in the short story and film)

Kevin Lomax and John Milton from "The Devil's Advocate"

Mitchell McDeere from Grisham's The Firm

Darby Shaw from Grisham's The Pelican Brief (a law student, not a lawyer, but close enough, especially when one takes into account the portrayal by Julia Roberts)

Jake Brigance from Grisham's A Time to Kill (although I don't believe I ever read the book and only know the movie portrayal by Matt McConaughey)

Jack McCoy, Claire Kincaid and Abbie Carmichael from "Law & Order."

Marshall Eriksen from "How I Met Your Mother"

Ally McBeal

Harry Stone and Dan Fielding from "Night Court"

Harvey Birdman

Henry Turner from "Regarding Henry"

Rusty Sabich and Sandy Stern from "Presumed Innocent"

Arthur Kincaid from "...And Justice for All"

Jan Schlichtmann from "A Civil Action" (the film, not the novel, which I'm not sure I ever read)

Daniel Kaffee (and, to a lesser extent, JoAnne Galloway and Jack Ross) from "A Few Good Men"

So many good ones already mentioned, but let's not forget Douglas Wambaugh from "Picket Fences" (of course he was a self-serving jerk but what a wonderful character on a very underrated show) and Sam Seaborn, Josh Lyman and Ainsley Hayes from West Wing.

OMG, a person after my own heart. I'm a voracious reader of many types of books & genres, but Terry Pratchett's work, especially the Discworld series, is my all-time favorite! :)
The only way I could get my SO to Nawlins (Genua) was the North American DW conference was held there this past Labor Day. :p

Jan Schlichtmann from "A Civil Action" (the film, not the novel, which I'm not sure I ever read)

Travolta did a nice job on that character but Robert Duvall's Jerome Facher was the quintessential corporate gunslinger.

Alicia Florrick and Diane Lockhart from The Good Wife.

Harriet (Harry) Korn from Harry's Law. Short lived show but pretty good.

Professor Charles W Kingsfield Jr - The Paper Chase - "You come in here with a skull full of mush, you leave thinking like a lawyer."

Travolta did a nice job on that character but Robert Duvall's Jerome Facher was the quintessential corporate gunslinger.

I can't say I remember too much from that movie, but the one scene I remember is when Travolta called Duvall, and Duvall was bouncing a ball off his office wall and it completely threw off Travolta.

I recall the scene where Travolta and Duvall are sitting outside the courtroom. IMDB quotes Duvall:

The truth? I thought we were talking about a court of law. Come on, you've been around long enough to know that a courtroom isn't a place to look for the truth.

Back