non fault driver in accident, first time dealing with all of this

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaerosmithchic

I was involved in an accident yesterday, I was going straight and a lady decided to make a left hand turn right into my right of way. I hit the brakes but was not able to miss her. She was cited for reckless driving I was in the clear. Now this is my first time ever (and I am 37 years old) that I have had to file a claim for an accident, only other claim ever was on 9/11/2001 when my car got broken into and had to replace my window where they smashed it. This is all overwelming/confusing to me. No one was hurt so I dont need a lawyer but am wondering if I should still talk to someone about all this. I spoke to my adjuster and she says it looks like the other drivers insurance should be covering it all

Also when they lady got hit she hit another car. they are Ok and very minor damages to their car. Can they come after me or just her for the damages since she was in the wrong?

All you need to do is contact the insurance company of the woman that was responsible. You should have her name and policy number... call them up and make a claim and they will get things rolling.

If you wanted, you could make the claim through your own insurance, but you would have to pay your deductible. You would later be compensated for that when your insurance gets paid off by the other company.

Personally.. I prefer to leave my own insurance out of it unless I'm responsible.

Your state may also have a law requiring you to make a report to the Department of Motor Vehicles if the value of the damage in the accident is over a certain amount... and if there are three cars involved, it is likely over the amount if your state does have that law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back