Non Competes signed in the State Of Georgia

Status
Not open for further replies.

mat58

On April 2, 2007, I started with a new company.
Prior to my employment, I had to sign a non compete agreement that stated that I would not work for a customer, supplier or competitor for a period of one year after departure from my employer.
On October 31st, I was served with a separation notice that stated I did not meet the company performance expectations.
I can testify that this action was unfair and unjust based on the fact that there were no performance objectives or performance reviews conducted during my tenure.

My question is, in the state of Georgia, can I legally pursue employment opportunities with other companies that conduct some form of business with my previous employer?

Sincerely,

Mark Tinney

Only a Georgia attorney who has read the agreement in its entirety can give you a definite answer.

It is likely that the agreement is no longer in force, but it is going to be a question of the EXACT wording of YOUR agreement; there is no across-the-board law automatically voiding such agreements in the circumstances you describe.

Thank you for your prompt response and feedback.
How do I go about seeking free legal advice in Georgia?

A couple of suggestions, neither of them guaranteed:

Call the state bar association and ask for a list of attorneys in your area who provide free consultations

If there is a university with a law school in your area, see if they provide free legal clinics

Thank you for the response and advice.
I will follow up and update the BLOG on my findings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back