Corporate Law Non compete

Status
Not open for further replies.

wondering63

New Jersey

My husband was broight into a business with the understanding that he would be sold this business when the owner retired in 2 years. No contract was ever made, as this was a family member's business. The understanding was that when my husband would buy this business, any accounts he had brought in or developed were "his part" of the business and would not be subject to the purchase price.

Fortunately or unfortunately, when the business owner retired he sold this busines to a 3rd party (all behind my husbands back). There was never a non-compete clause signed with the original owner.

The new owners approached my husband to sign a non compete and my husband told them he would never sign anything. Subsequently my husband decided to venture out on his own and he quit. Most, but not all of the accounts followed my husband.

Three years later the original owner is suing the new owners for his own reason. The new owners are counter suing and have dragged my husband into it, because they feel he "took" some clients.

There was never a non compete or non solicitation or ANY other document signed wit hEITHER company. How/why can they be dragging my husband into it?

Q: How/why can they be dragging my husband into it
A: The understanding was that when my husband would buy this business, any accounts he had brought in or developed were "his part" of the business and would not be subject to the purchase price - This is why!

Even though a piece of paper was never signed, there is a verbal contract that is enforceable in this transaction. Have your husband hire an attorney so he can protect his clients and his business. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back