Non compete/Employment Agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

naradhaa

My ex-employer is trying to take legal action in violation of the employment agreement.

I used to work for company A (NJ based) whose client was my ex-employer (DE). I was providing consulting services for my ex-employer (as a subcontractor). At the start date I was asked to sign a non-compete/non-disclosure/employment agreement. It looks somewhat like this:
Code:
AGREEMENT made as of <date> by and between <ex-employer> ("Employer") with a principal place of business at <locattion> and <myself> residing at <myadrress> ("Employee")

WHEREAS, Employer desires to employ employeee and employee desires to be employed by Employer in connection with certain aspects of software development for employer

NOW thereof the parties hereto mutaully agree as follows:
1. Employment clause
2. Confidentiality
3. Non-Disclosure
4. Possession
5. [B]Non-Compete - 2 years [/B] - directly or indirectly

Basically this is an agreement that has got Employee everywhere within it , when i was only a subcontractor.

After 8 months i was verbally offered a job by the ex-employer. I too took the job verbally and signed no documents..this relationship went for 2 years, I was placed at several high profile clients and was paid as an employee..At the end of the second year, I decided I had enough and resigned my job but continued to work at the same client (via another vendor). My ex-employer is now causing problems stating i violated the employment agreement.

First, he has been sending emails to both me and my client about this ..copying his attorney. Should i even respond to this ??
Second, the agreement was signed by me only as a subcontractor, I was not an employee at the time of signing the contract (i can provide evidence of invoices he has paid). Can he still use that agreement ??
Third, he has been abusing me (have email proof) and behaved like a jerk more often like a dictator that caused me to resign. Can i counter sue him for discrimination. I can provide several reasons with proof.
Fourth, he himself has breached the contract with my NJ based employer because he hired me directly. I had to use my good offices to avoid NJ company from taking any action.
Finally, the client is also dragged into this...Apparently they had also signed a non compete agreement that they recently realized they breached.

Now the big question is : What is the next step i should take ? I have not received any legal notification yet.

Looking forward to some useful suggestions and recommendations - Thanks in advance

You need to consult with a local attorney. Your situation is too specific to be appropriately addressed in a venue such as this.

do i need to respond ?

Beth3 said:
You need to consult with a local attorney. Your situation is too specific to be appropriately addressed in a venue such as this.
I understand..but my first question might be a standard one..Do I need to respond to ex-employer's emails ?

I can't answer that because you are asking for specific legal advice, which is not appropriate for anyone other than an attorney licensed to practice in your State to give you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back