Noise disturbances

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbognacki

Hi,

I have tenants that just moved in a month ago and have two small children. The 2 year old jumps and creates banging which we can hear in our apartment which is directly below them. My leasing contract states there shall be no noise at all any time. I have called the office several times and I was told that they have a 2 year old. I understand that, but I don't feel that I should have to be disturbed because of that. The office manager told me that I could move into another apartment, I have lived in my apartment for a year and don't want to move and shouldn't since I am not causing the disturbance. She tells me there is nothing she can do.

I wanted to know is there anything I can do other than moving, since the apartment complex is not complying with their contract with regard to no noise?

Thanks,
Sharlene Bognacki

It's unrealistic to expect that there will never be any noise when humans live in an anthill situation such as an apartment complex.

You could call the police if you wished but they will also likely tell you that this noise involves a 2 year old.

The apartment complex is attemping to remedy the situation by offering you another apartment to move into.

You can suggest this family does the moving but management does not have to comply with your request.

They might also suggest letting you out of your lease but then you'd have to move anyway.

Gail

I don't understand just because the child is 2 means let them do what they want. I have 2 grown children but they never did that when they were two. They played but never made noise that would disturb other people. I don't feel that I should be awoken or not be able to read etc. because someone has a child. This goes beyond playing it's not walking like the office manage suggested. I have a teenage son who lives with me - should I let him blare his music and say "his is a teenager"?

Quite frankly, folks who have grown children have forgotten what little beasts they were when they were two. As time passes, the memories of what noisy little boogers my two grown sons were at that age has faded for me. Now I see them as sweet little angels. I suppose I'm getting senile.

Management have given you an option of moving to a quieter area. They are trying to work out a viable option regarding this situation.

Gail

Maybe I am just a considerate person and didn't let my children annoy or disturb other people. No my children weren't little beasts they were brought up not to be. Why should I move just because other people can't abide by the rules of their contract - which I believe is breaching the contract?

So where are you going to be when management moves the 2 year old noise to another unit and the next tenants above you are even more loud ?

Take the offer to move to another unit and seriously consider one on the top floor.

;)

INTK

Last edited:
First off, unless you request and move into a top floor apartment, you are very likely to hear noise from the tenants above you, if not just from the adults walking around. Second, I have a daughter who is going on two, and have A LOT of nieces and nephews and I can tell you it is impossible to keep young kids quiet all the time. If they drop a toy by mistake, you will hear it. If they fall you will hear it. As suggested you should take the offer to move if the other apartment is on the top floor. And believe it or not, then the tenants below you will hear you and your son, even if you try your hardest to be quiet. It should be expected when you live in an apartment complex and are not on the top floor. On a side note, having a young child who isn't quiet around the clock doesn't mean your parenting skills or methods are lacking. I think you really should take a hard look at your expectations of children.

I apologize if this post came across the wrong way or if it is offensive in any way.

Last edited:
As far as the lease saying there is not to be any noise at any time, I would assume this means no loud noise. Examples of this would be playing music or the television very loud or engaging in a loud argument. It would be unrealistic to expect not to hear any noises coming from other tenants when living in an apartment complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back