No rental license in current rental

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnlaws730

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
I am living in Philadelphia, PA. I recently took my Landlord to the Fair Housing Commission Board, because they were attempting to evict me as a apart of landlord retaliation. The commission board ruled in my favor and made the landlord erase the ledger they claimed I owed. The reason for this is I did not have heat for the month of November and my landlord were not cooperative in fixing the situation. When they finally decided to get it fixed, they put in writing that they would credit my account, but did not in fact credit my account. They then tried to sue me for the month of December. I moved in the property in August 2016 and the landlord has not had an active license for the property since Feb 2016. The license was just issued March 13 2017, so the commission board told the landlords that I did not owe any money for the entire time I lived there, due to not having a license. I was current on my rent. Is there anyway I can sue for back payment, because they were illegally renting to me and I was not obligated to pay any rent? The Fair Housing Commission advised me they were to make sure that rental practices were fair, and that was it. I am looking to contact an attorney about this, but I wanted to start here first.

His words were the "law moves forward", but I have heard cases where people (landlords and tenants) sue for back rent.

His words were the "law moves forward", but I have heard cases where people (landlords and tenants) sue for back rent.

It appears that neither the defendant or plaintiff took anything.
I suggest you find suitable, LEGAL housing and pay your rent on time.
Your LL owes you nothing.

It appears that neither the defendant or plaintiff took anything.
I suggest you find suitable, LEGAL housing and pay your rent on time.
Your LL owes you nothing.

Actually I was not evicted. That was the sole purpose of the court hearing, I was fighting them for landlord retaliation. So, yes, I took the win. Also, I pay my rent on time every month.

Actually I was not evicted. That was the sole purpose of the court hearing, I was fighting them for landlord retaliation. So, yes, I took the win. Also, I pay my rent on time every month.

Why do you feel the need to tell me every aspect of your boring, pitiful life?
I never asked if you were evicted.
I don't care if you pay your rent on time, or if you never pay your rent.
I don't care if you're homeless.
Again, you are not one of my zoo monkeys, I care not what happens to you.

Why do you feel the need to tell me every aspect of your boring, pitiful life?
I never asked if you were evicted.
I don't care if you pay your rent on time, or if you never pay your rent.
I don't care if you're homeless.
Again, you are not one of my zoo monkeys, I care not what happens to you.
Why do you feel the need to comment on my boring pitiful life? You care enough to get on an Internet forum and troll. You care enough to make the assumption that I didn't take anything from the hearing. Also, I would never be one of your zoo monkeys.

Why do you feel the need to comment on my boring pitiful life? You care enough to get on an Internet forum and troll. You care enough to make the assumption that I didn't take anything from the hearing. Also, I would never be one of your zoo monkeys.

Thank you , mate, thanks a bunch of bananas. LOL

well, it seems you got the credit for the month without heat and got any other debts on their ledger taken off. You did get housing for the time you paid rent, which is "fair" and that is what they are going for.

if the commission isn't willing to pursue it and require them to pay you for the time they didn't have a license, I am not sure you could convince a judge and jury that it is owed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back