Security Deposit No receipt for security deposit

Status
Not open for further replies.

smith1979

Hi:

Our landlady, who initially was a close family friend of my grandmother's, but who became a close personal friend to us after we moved in, passed away over a year ago, and her son took over the 5-plex we live in. We did not sign a new lease with him (we have lived here since June 2005), but are month to month anyhow. So, now he is selling the property, and we may be leaving depending on what the new owners do/demand. So, basically my main question is this - we did not ever get a receipt for our security deposit ($800 - we were young and didn't really know what we needed to do when we signed on, plus we weren't thinking about our landlady/friend passing in the future at that time), and he is saying that he has no record of it, and thinks his mother didn't make us pay as we were family friends - is there anything we can do about getting our deposit at this point? And please note, we did already attempt to get a cancelled check/statement from our bank, but they only keep up to 7 years previous, and we are just past that mark. Would really appreciate any suggestions as we may need that deposit to move.

You have to PROVE you paid it.
Absent PROOF, he's right, he won't have to pay you for something you allege you gave to another person.
Look at your original, signed lease.
If it ain't there, or you can't provide a copy of a cancelled check, I'm afraid you might not get him to return anything to you.
He has a valid point.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back