Rent, Utilities No lease, former landlord threatening to sue over unpaid utilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

InTheBowl

I lived in a rental property for 3.5 years with no lease. The landlord told me specifically that she did not write leases so she could throw tenants out whenever she wanted. At the time we moved in, she assured me that we could live there for five years. After she suffered mental health issues last fall and was committed for a little while, she called and told us we were being throw out. She gave us 60 days to vacate and we left in that time. Now she is demanding we pay to fill the oil tank and threatening to sue if we do not. We paid to fill it in the past but the bill is in her name. The tank was filled at the very end of our occupation of the house. Are we legally obligated to pay this large bill? Considering there was no lease or signed agreement of any sort throughout our tenancy?

I lived in a rental property for 3.5 years with no lease. The landlord told me specifically that she did not write leases so she could throw tenants out whenever she wanted. At the time we moved in, she assured me that we could live there for five years. After she suffered mental health issues last fall and was committed for a little while, she called and told us we were being throw out. She gave us 60 days to vacate and we left in that time. Now she is demanding we pay to fill the oil tank and threatening to sue if we do not. We paid to fill it in the past but the bill is in her name. The tank was filled at the very end of our occupation of the house. Are we legally obligated to pay this large bill? Considering there was no lease or signed agreement of any sort throughout our tenancy?

She can sue, so what?
If I were you, I wouldn't pay her another penny.
She has no case, because its not in the lease.
Why?
You have (or had) no lease.
I'd ignore her.
If she sues, she'll have to prove you agreed to pay for the oil and utilities.
As you observed, they're in HER name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back