NO insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

luonganh

I got in an accident a year ago. The lady that hit my car gave the police offier an invalid insurance. I went to small claim court, and won the case. However, this lady is now "hiding". She moved right after she found that she was at fault. How do I collect? pleas elet me know. thanks

Originally posted by luong_anh
I got in an accident a year ago. The lady that hit my car gave the police offier an invalid insurance. I went to small claim court, and won the case. However, this lady is now "hiding". She moved right after she found that she was at fault. How do I collect? pleas elet me know. thanks

That is the quintessential problem with small claims court. TO begin, you should file a lien against her in your county. That is the best way to at least "tag" this woman and prevent her from getting home loans, etc. Next is an asset search. You can have information subpoenas with restraining orders sent to several banks in your area. You can likely get forms and assistance from your county clerk and, unless you are an attorney, will need the county clerk to sign them for them to be enforceable.

Yes, this is an incredible pain. It's one of the reasons why this site was started many years ago -- there may be little justice one obtains in small claims and there should be much better enforcement mechanisms to prevent offenders from being scofflaws. There are other methods, e.g. asset searches done through private companies but the investment maybe too large even though you may be able to apply to the court to tack on these expenses. However, the law has also made these searches more difficult in a variety of ways.

Try the information subpoena with restraining order avenue. If you need help, just let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back