No Headstone after almost a year

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanArcher

My Father in Law died almost a year ago (4/22/07). To date the headstone is not in place because my wife's sister refuses to authorize it's placement.

Both are liseted as co-executors but since her sister is listed first on his advanced care directive she is considered the primary executor. She is insisting that my wife split part of her inheritance with her mother who has been divorced from him more than 40 years (We won't go into the millions of reasons why my wife chose not to do this) Her statement to my wife is that she will not allow the headstone to be placed until my wife has done this.

Everything I have heard is that this is extortion. In addition the advanced care directive is very clear in that if the primary person can not or will not carry out the duties it would fall to the second person who is my wife. Since it has been a year I would argue that she is not willing to fulfill her duties. This is the last thing hanging out there that has to be taken care of.

My wife is under great stress because it has not been completed. Can someone please tell me what our course of action should be? Should the police be involved? Do we need a lawyer?

Please advise

Thank You

Alan Archer

Everything I have heard is that this is extortion.

You heard wrong.

You have three choices:

Pay for the headstone yourself

Split the cost with other relatives

Do nothing

Your call....

This is not a criminal matter. The police are not going to do anything.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back