No contact order

C

Concernedmomof5

Jurisdiction
Arkansas
I have a serious question, I have done some research but the answers I've found contradict each other .... If a person decides they want to have a no contact order issued against an 18 year old boy... On behalf of their 17 year old daughter,(against her will) are there some criteria that have to be met in order for a judge to do that? Or would it be issued just because the parent wants it?

If a person decides they want to have a no contact order issued against an 18 year old boy... On behalf of their 17 year old daughter,(against her will) are there some criteria that have to be met in order for a judge to do that?

Yes. However, that criteria is often minimal and the petitioner need only express a reasonable concern that something bad needs to be prevented.

At 17, the girl is a minor and still under the control of her parents. While nothing criminal is happening between an 18 year old and a 17 year old, the parents may still have good reason to keep you away from her.

Should a petition be filed you will likely have the opportunity to attend a hearing on the petition's allegations where you and your girlfriend can tell your sides of the story.

Courts often err on the side of caution so if the mother is successful in getting the RO issued then you just stay away or you get arrested.

When the girl is 18 she can petition the court to cancel the RO if you both still feel the same way about each other.

It varies by jurisdiction. You do have to have some grounds for the RO. There are plenty of ways to prevent a minor living in your home from spending time with someone you do not approve of which do not leave the 18 year old with a record.

Back