NFL Player's Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmn77

Okay so the NFL Player's Association has the rights to all the player's names. I want to make an app using that uses Player's names. Take Brian Urlacher. Since I can't use his name as it is due to the NFLPA, is it okay to use it if it is changed by dropping a letter or vowel from his name? For example, could I legally use B. Urlcher or B. Ulacher? Thanks for the feedback.

Okay so the NFL Player's Association has the rights to all the player's names. I want to make an app using that uses Player's names. Take Brian Urlacher. Since I can't use his name as it is due to the NFLPA, is it okay to use it if it is changed by dropping a letter or vowel from his name? For example, could I legally use B. Urlcher or B. Ulacher? Thanks for the feedback.
I'm not sure that the players names individually are "owned" by anyone. As a group, I'm not sure whether listing a team roster is intellectual property or an unprotectable fact, like bare statistics. I think that the question is what you do with them that can make using the list unlawful. For example, if you create a simulated football game product that has those player names and teams, that's a completely different situation. That would constitute the making of a simulated NFL game and there are certain issues of trademark that come to mind and likelihood of confusion.

I'm not sure that the NFL has the rights to sue anyone if there is an app that lists the current roster or schedule of a team. For example, I'm not sure that the New York Yankees would have any legal right that could prevent me from listing their entire starting lineup, names and positions, in a post. However if you were making a baseball game that included MLB simulations, that would clearly be something completely different.

I know this is unrelated but the post made recall something. There was a player in the 70's whose name was Fare Hooker I always thought that was funny his name meant he was a nice prostitute lol

I know this is unrelated but the post made recall something. There was a player in the 70's whose name was Fare Hooker I always thought that was funny his name meant he was a nice prostitute lol
It's actually Fair Hooker (the other one means price you pay, perhaps subliminal thoughts, lol.) Using this name in a game would be unquestionably a sign that you were seeking to use NFL player names! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back