Trademark NFL player name/color trademarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

rye111

Could I legally design a T-shirt that said "I heart Ben" with the number 7 in the heart in gold lettering with breaking NFL trademark or likeness laws. Ben would represent Ben Roethlisberger and the 7 is his number. How about a T shirt that said "Mrs. Roethlisberger"? I have seen similar shirts for sale on Ebay. Thanks.

Trademark law prevents issues of confusion with designation of origin or trademarks. I personally don't think you'll have a problem with most of what you describe. The problem with most of the ebay issues here are the same - people believing they are buying official jerseys when, in fact, they are not authentic and counterfeit goods.

If I want to design hats in colors that would be colors combos of sports teams and call out that it is not a licensed product on Tags and advertising. Can I do this without any issues with trademarks? The colors maybe NFL colors together, but also are local team colors.

Colors - you should be free to do mostly what you want. I have heard of cases where apparel was close enough to the team colors that the teams filed suit (or threatened) -- doesn't mean they will win or that they are right. After all, it's not possible to have a trademark on a black and white down jacket.

When you think about it, that's got to be the right asnewr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back