New Mexico Pardon

Ranger505

Jurisdiction
New Mexico
Hello all,
I have some questions pertaining to a pardon from the state. 2 years ago I filled for a expungement and I was granted it, the district attorney did not want to how ever the judge over ruled and accepted my petition because they contacted the 2 victims (aggravated assault ) and they said they were not seriously hurt and they do not have a problem with me applying for a expungement. I filed for it because I can not get good employment because of the background check. I'm still having issues getting good employment. Today I'm 42 this crime happened when I was 18 since then I have become a great outstanding citizen I was sentenced to 4 year and 5 years probation. Last year I filed for a pardon and was denied they did not give me a reason why I'm assuming the result in my felony conviction (signed a plea bargain) I am going to try again in August. I have all documentation ready to send. Any suggestions on showing the governor that I have been rehibilated ? I originally sent in all certificates and documents to show that I worked on my self over the years. In a way I think prison was the best thing that happened to me as sad as it sounds. Any info please. Thanks all

Last year I filed for a pardon and was denied they did not give me a reason why I'm assuming the result in my felony conviction (signed a plea bargain) I am going to try again in August.

Did you have an attorney last year?

If not, I suggest you get one for your next try.

Did you have an attorney last year?

If not, I suggest you get one for your next try.
No, no attorney. I made sure I had everything prepared and in order as far as what they request. The only thing i should have got help with was writing the reason why I am requesting a pardon I am not very good with words. When I first submitted all my documentation to the governor's office about three months later, I got a letter stating I am eligible for consideration.

I have a question for you. You said you can't get good employment because of the background check. Are you being turned down for the job after multiple interviews, or are you not getting interviews at all?

I have a question for you. You said you can't get good employment because of the background check. Are you being turned down for the job after multiple interviews, or are you not getting interviews at all?
After interviews. I thought with the expungement I have being my charges are not open for the public to see would help but it seems like it don't. I do have a job that pays well I just would prefer to advance my career with the city or state something in that nature.

After interviews. I thought with the expungement I have being my charges are not open for the public to see would help but it seems like it don't. I do have a job that pays well I just would prefer to advance my career with the city or state something in that nature.

Expunging a conviction does little to seal or hide a criminal conviction.

Why?

Because we have no star chambers or secret proceedings, relative to criminal matters.

Only a full pardon by a territory or state governor can erase the stain and sting of a criminal conviction.

If the matter was tried before a federal court, only a full pardon by the sitting president can eliminate the federal stain.

Both pardons, gubernatorial or presidential, are extremely rare and difficult to obtain.

However, our country's citizenry is changing their attitude towards forgiving and welcoming a person who strayed into a penal colony. Today many businesses are willing to give convicted felons that second chance.

I have several former clients that are now in management positions with Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart. They are eager to reward competent, capable, honest individuals.

One of my former clients spent 20 years in the Texas penal colonies. Today he's earned a Bachelors and a Masters Degree, managing a super Walmart.

Hang in there, citizen, Rome wasn't built in a day. Things are changing, although it is slow, good things are happening. Hold your head up high and keep on trying, don't give up, never give in.

Expunging a conviction does little to seal or hide a criminal conviction.

Why?

Because we have no star chambers or secret proceedings, relative to criminal matters.

Only a full pardon by a territory or state governor can erase the stain and sting of a criminal conviction.

If the matter was tried before a federal court, only a full pardon by the sitting president can eliminate the federal stain.

Both pardons, gubernatorial or presidential, are extremely rare and difficult to obtain.

However, our country's citizenry is changing their attitude towards forgiving and welcoming a person who strayed into a penal colony. Today many businesses are willing to give convicted felons that second chance.

I have several former clients that are now in management positions with Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart. They are eager to reward competent, capable, honest individuals.

One of my former clients spent 20 years in the Texas penal colonies. Today he's earned a Bachelors and a Masters Degree, managing a super Walmart.

Hang in there, citizen, Rome wasn't built in a day. Things are changing, although it is slow, good things are happening. Hold your head up high and keep on trying, don't give up, never give in.
I appreciate the feed back. Thanks

Have you been told that it is the background check that is the problem or are you assuming? I'm going somewhere specific with this.

Have you been told that it is the background check that is the problem or are you assuming? I'm going somewhere specific with this.

After my expungement, I applied for an inventory control with the police department I thought I was able to. in the order, it says state of New Mexico, city of Albuquerque and New Mexico department of transportation is sealed but I thought wrong the New Mexico department of transportation pulled my background and gave it to them. I didn't think that was right. However, now I realize that I guess I can't work for the city or state ? The other apps just never replied back after interviews. They said they would get back to me I'm assuming it's because of the background. I was very exited to get the expungement how ever it does not apply to my goals in life

From what you are saying, it is POSSIBLE that it's the background check but it's not guaranteed. Background checks cost money. Employers might interview a dozen people but will only run a check on their top candidates; not on all of them.. They simply do not run checks on all applicants, and they certainly don't run them until they've identified their favorites. And, sad but true, many employers don't get back to candidates that they don't hire. It's shame, but small to mid-size employers don't have the time or the staffing to do that.

My department is hiring right now and I am very much involved in the process. We've interviewed, in total, eight people. We've brought three back for a second interview. We've all but decided who we will be making an offer to - we have one more second interview to go but we already know she's our second choice and not our first. We haven't run a background check yet and won't until we're at the point of making an offer. We will only run one unless she turns us down, in which case we will run two. We will NOT run them on everyone we interview.

I think you're making assumptions that have no basis in fact. I'm not saying it's impossible - the possibility does exist. But unless you were - I'll be generous and say one of the top two candidates for each and every position you applied for - it's quite likely that most of the employers you've applied with never ran a check on you in the first place.

Coming to you from 40+ years in HR.

After interviews. I thought with the expungement I have being my charges are not open for the public to see would help but it seems like it don't.

I'm sure you are an upstanding citizen now. It's the internet. Nothing ever completely disappears from the internet. You'll always be tainted, like a used car that's had an accident. Even if you got a pardon there would be a record of it on the internet somewhere and the conviction could still have a negative influence on your life.

Nixon got a pardon but in the minds of Americans he will always be a crook.

From what you are saying, it is POSSIBLE that it's the background check but it's not guaranteed. Background checks cost money. Employers might interview a dozen people but will only run a check on their top candidates; not on all of them.. They simply do not run checks on all applicants, and they certainly don't run them until they've identified their favorites. And, sad but true, many employers don't get back to candidates that they don't hire. It's shame, but small to mid-size employers don't have the time or the staffing to do that.

My department is hiring right now and I am very much involved in the process. We've interviewed, in total, eight people. We've brought three back for a second interview. We've all but decided who we will be making an offer to - we have one more second interview to go but we already know she's our second choice and not our first. We haven't run a background check yet and won't until we're at the point of making an offer. We will only run one unless she turns us down, in which case we will run two. We will NOT run them on everyone we interview.

I think you're making assumptions that have no basis in fact. I'm not saying it's impossible - the possibility does exist. But unless you were - I'll be generous and say one of the top two candidates for each and every position you applied for - it's quite likely that most of the employers you've applied with never ran a check on you in the first place.

Coming to you from 40+ years in HR.

Last edited:
I was employeed for 13 years and the company found out I had been in prison they made it hell for me throwing comments and being petty I ended up quitting.

You were employed by a company PRIOR to receiving your expungement, correct?

You were so employed for 13 years.

Did you lie about your felony conviction and imprisonment on your initial application?

You don't need to answer.

The question was for your consideration, not public humiliation.

If you lied about your conviction, that ALONE could be the reason for your recent termination.

It happens regularly, mate.

Perhaps you were SNITCHED upon by an enemy at work, or a love to blab, tattle tale?

Back