Extension, Renewal New management does not recognise holdover clause on old lease

V

vigs2107

Jurisdiction
Michigan
Hello,

I am staying in the current apartment for one year. My lease ends by end of January. When I signed rental lease my old management company had a clause of holdover. Just in case if I don't sign the lease it will automatically go month to month.

Now with change in management, new company is forcing me to sign new lease with terms and conditions different than previous lease. In particular, they will no more give month to month option once I finish my next lease. Also they wants notice of 2 months advance instead of one month.

There are many people staying in my apartment complex with month to month. When I argued, they say new management has changed the rules and I have to sign it and all they are doing is legal.

My question, can I stay month to month based on my old lease clause? What trouble I will get if I refuse to sign the lease.

Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

No, your old lease ends when it ends. If the new management does not allow month to month, you sign a new lease or move. You can't stay month to month forever just because at one time someone owned it with such a policy.

can I stay month to month based on my old lease clause?

Actually, yes.

If you are still in the apartment on Feb 1 you ARE on month to month.

As such, on that date, all the management company has to do is give you one month notice of termination and if you aren't out by Feb 29 you get evicted through the courts.

That's what month to month means - either party can terminate with one month notice.

It does not mean that you get to stay there forever just because you want to.

Back