New car...death

Steven McMillan

Jurisdiction
South Carolina
My stepfather (Glen) purchased a brand new Nissan last week. He passed away 5 days later. We just received a phone call (2 hours before the funeral) from the salesman at the dealership stating that the contract was never finalized. Dont know how he found out Glen had passed but he knew. The same salesman called 3 days ago saying that we need to bring copies of power bill, phone bill, etc. He's now trying to get Glens wife to come in a finance it in HER name. Somethings is very fishy about this. Anyone known what we should do in this situation? I'm not sure if he purchased the credit life but, if so, could they be trying to get out of that? Thank you for any help.

Anyone known what we should do in this situation?

You should do nothing.

If the man has the car at his home, his spouse should return it ASAP.

His spouse is under no obligation to sign or do anything, take documents of anything, or do anything the dealership requests.

She is not obligated to complete the purchase contract that the unfortunate deceased man allegedly didn't sign.

She should return the car, if she knows where it is located, or at least inform the dealership of its whereabouts.

I don't really see a legal issue in your post.

The same salesman called 3 days ago saying that we need to bring copies of power bill, phone bill, etc.

I assume that "we" means your mother, right (I assume Glen was married to your mother)? Why would the salesman need or want power and phone bills? I've bought/leased nine cars in my life and not once has a salesman requested a copy of a utility bill.

Anyone known what we should do in this situation?

If "the contract was never finalized," why not simply return the vehicle to the dealership and be done with it? Or, if your mother wants to keep the car, then she'll need to do whatever needs to be done to make that happen.

Back