Never signed the lease...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sally54

I am listed on the lease as a lessee but I have never signed the lease. Also the lessor on the lease sold the building before we moved in and we have never had a new lease with our current landlord. We have been living at this apartment for 4 months.

I have to move out due to financial reasons and my roomate refused my offer to find her a new roomate to sublet. She has instead choosen to move out as well, but not until 1 month after I will have moved out. The landlord has agreed to us breaking the lease.

However I am concerned that she will attempt to charge me for the month she is there after I move out. Am I legally obligated to this lease if I never signed it, or was asked to sign it?

Thank you.

Sally54 said:
I am listed on the lease as a lessee but I have never signed the lease. Also the lessor on the lease sold the building before we moved in and we have never had a new lease with our current landlord. We have been living at this apartment for 4 months.

I have to move out due to financial reasons and my roomate refused my offer to find her a new roomate to sublet. She has instead choosen to move out as well, but not until 1 month after I will have moved out. The landlord has agreed to us breaking the lease.

However I am concerned that she will attempt to charge me for the month she is there after I move out. Am I legally obligated to this lease if I never signed it, or was asked to sign it?

Thank you.

If you have not signed the lease it is questionable about the binding effect but I would argue that you agreed to the terms by living there for 4 months. It's probably irrelevant as the landlord is letting you off the hook. However, your roomate probably doesn't want to pay the entire month's rent that she is there. Unless the landlord lets you off the hook for your portion of the rent, it is likely that your roomate can hold you liable for that month's rent. In addition, if you didn't provide 30 days prior written notice of your intention to vacate, then you'd be responsible for the extra month anyways. Now I can't be 100% sure of the accuracy of what I'm saying because I can't confirm the details but per my assumptions, this is the likely turnout of your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back