Never Moved In and Deposit Not Returned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinroof

My husband and I signed a lease and paid our 600.00 deposit in cash to move into a townhouse. we signed the lease July 19, 2008 and paid the deposit at the same time. We had a move in date of Aug. 1, 2008. The lady we were planning on renting from stated that she would not be able to move out if the home until the 31st of July. We were suppose to get the keys one day before the time that she was to vacate her place. She still had a house full of furniture and other belongins still there. It was if she never planned on leaving. My husband called her one day to ask a questions and apparently she did not hear her phone ring and it answered automatically and she was talking to someone on her home phone very saying some nasty things about us. So my husband calls me and tells me some of the things that were siad, and we decided that we did not want to rent from someone who was like that. We just could not trust her. So we told her that we changed our mind and that we wanted our deposit back? She said that is fine and she would give it back and to this day we have not gotten our deposit back. She does not return our calls. We signed the lease 07/19/08, told her we had second thoughts on 07/22/08. What legal recourse do we have to get our $600.00 deposit back. My husband has misplaced the receipt but we do have the signed leasing contract. Please tell us what can we do?

Last edited:
Send her a certified letter requesting immediate return of the deposit money and if she does not send the money by a certain date you will take her to small claims court to collect those funds. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back