Never arrested or convited. Exposed by facial recognition everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cleanto

While unemployed I had a lapse of stupidity and committed a couple of petty thefts at big store chains. Apparently I was not good at it, as it didn´t take long for LP staff to catch me. However the police was not called, and in the LP guy´s textual words, it was "not a big deal", they would "give me a break because I looked like a good guy," and I would only have to pay for the merchandise and would be free to go. Once inside, they took copy of my drivers license, took a picture of my face, and had me sign a paper that was an admittance of the infraction, I suppose. They gave me the option to not accept anything of this, but they said it would be useless, as they had me on video recording, and in a court I would end up with a conviction. On the other hand, if I accepted, my info and picture would be "for internal use of the store only". I was reluctant to sign anything without legal advice, but it looked like I had no choice. I was also warned not to enter that particular store chain again, or else I would be arrested for trespassig. This was like 3 years ago. Needless to say, after that scare I have never again tried anything of that sort

I have to make clear that I have never ever in my life been arrested, let alone indicted or convicted of anything. However, most recently, and increasingly, I had noticed that whenever I entered a store or supermarket, the security staff at the entrance started acting really funny. They get all alert and agitated, start talking among them, and looking at me in a really unfriendly manner. Or, in a minority of cases, there are those that greet me in an excessively welcoming and artificial way. I started to sense that something was going on. At the same time, I began to notice this kind of behavior even at small neighborhood stores, even the tiniest delis and pizzerias. To make the story short, and thanks to a tip from a small business owner that is my friend, I discovered that I am on the database of a new facial recognition system, that warns store owners that a known shoplifter has just come in. I started to pay attention, and to my dismay, noticed that this is also the case at places that have nothing to do with the retail industry, like my gym, or Western Union. Apparently the system warns them on their cell phones ass soon as I enter. They first look at me with a startled and scared expression, and then after they realize that I am inoffensive, they switch to an ironic slight smile while they browse my picture and bio. Sometimes several of them get involved. Especially late at night at supermarkets, when there is no LP personnel, and these gadgets are left with managers or even cashiers. Last time I stopped by a 24hs Path Mark at 2 am. As I entered, I noticed clearly the sudden shock of the female manager and the security guard, while they looked intently at me and into her phone, where I saw a picture of myself on the screen. Then the guy set out to follow me. I got so embarrased that I turned around and left without buying anything, which for them apparently was a proof of my bad intentions, as when I was getting into my car I saw them both looking out of the windows, trying to get note of my plate, I suppose. The fact is that after a few minutes I got stopped by the police, for no reason at all, at least they didn´t give any. They asked where I was coming from, where I was going, looking into the interior of my car with their flashlights. Then while I was looking for my drivers license, they just vanished, I looked back and they had taken off for good never to come back. Really weird.
This kind of humiliating and harrasing events are becoming almost constant, as smaller and smaller businesses are adopting the technology.

My question is how can I defend myself from this. Not even child molestors get exposed everywhere in that way, and I have a totally clean record. This is a private database that is being shared, something like the Retailers Association Theft List, or something like that. And there is a company, FaceFirst or something that provides the face recognition service. As it has become affordable, almost every little store is starting to have it. So for me the world has become an unlivable hell. Everybody at the gym´s front desk, for instance, people that used to be friendly, look at me ackwardly. I am having to avoid local stores, as I would be embarrased with owners that have known me and respected me for years. And things are rapidly getting worse as the technology spreads.

I need advice on how to expunge my name from this totally private blacklist that is harming me publicly. There has to be some kind legislation to protect the right to privacy. This is not only destroying my reputation, it is precluding me from looking for a job almost totally, for example. Or to have business contacts. Not that the employer or business person will run some kind of background check, not even need for that. As soon as I cross the entrance, my "criminal record" will pop up on his smart phone. And worst of all I was never warned that I am on such a system. I don´t even know for how long and at how many places this has been happening without me even knowing. This is a very serious situation that can destroy a person´s life. I think that I should even have the right to sue the company that is doing this.

Where is your proof that anything of the kind is happening? What evidence can you show a judge?

If you don't look at them you won't even notice they are watching you.

What you suggest here is beyond improbable. You are making something out of nothing. Get on with your life.

If your referring to a retail theft database they have discontinued (for now) due to The Esteem Database being sued

If you are talking about a retail data base, generally your name comes off in 7 years. As shrinkmaster noted, they have currently (for now anyway) been discontinued. In the meantime, just go about your business & do not do anything wrong.

Wait until you discover they have implanted an RFID chip via injection for some vaccine and are going to program it when you pass through a TSA screening machine. We need to develop a line of tinfoil lined outerwear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back