Nepotism in County Government

Redemptionman

Jurisdiction
Mississippi
Out of curiosity? Is there a law (I am familiar with Nepotism law in hiring) that would prohibit a child of the main prosecutor for county in a state running for Sheriff of the same county?

definitely looks like a conflict of interest. Judicial board of conduct issue?

Just does not sit right with me for some reason as it would be a pretty clear issue of Nepotism.

If this is an elected office, then it cannot, by definition, be nepotism.

It's not even, necessarily, a conflict of interest.

It is a ploy to get the current Sheriff out of office, it is basically between the Old Sheriff and another candidate. The 3rd candidate is the son of the county prosecutor. This county prosecutors office has a reputation for hiding evidence, intimidating witnesses, and making up more charges and/ or upgrading charges without supporting evidence.

I could only imagine what kind of chit show it would be if the current prosecutors son becomes Sheriff. I am sure at some point down the road it would be making National headlines.

Out of curiosity? Is there a law (I am familiar with Nepotism law in hiring) that would prohibit a child of the main prosecutor for county in a state running for Sheriff of the same county

I am unaware of any state or territory that addresses nepotism, insofar as elective office is concerned.

Our progenitors were very clever humans.

Most of those creating laws back then, applied common sense, something lacking among today's citizenry.

Back