Neighbors Verbal Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerwilco266

My wife and I moved into our home in San Diego county in 2002 and since that time, EVERY SINGLE DAY, our neighbors across the street yell and scream at us when we are in the front yard. When my wife is doing some gardening or if we are just standing outside. The old woman yells slut, asshole f---ing this and f---ing that. When I go to my car at 6 or 7 in the morning she call me asshole and yells at me. This has been going on for over 4 years and we are sick and tired of it. She does it when my friends are over so i have plenty of witnesses. The other neigbors get it as well. She calls my wife whore and all sorts of other things as well. I know that the person we bought the house from sued them because she caused a deal for the home to fall through because she yelled at a prospective buyer. What can I do? Can I sue for harassment or loss of use? Mental anguish or what? Please help.

the first thing i would do is call the local police department, explain them the problem, and ask to make the neighbor stop harassing you. they will probably come over and talk to the neighbor. if this is a civil matter (which it probably is not), only then you will need to file a lawsuit.

i am not a lawyer, all i said is just common sense to me.

what legally constitutes harrassment under the law?

i am currently experiencing harrassment via my new neighbors. They verbally assault my wife with foul language; they bought spot lights and shine them on my home, and they are currently bombarding my home with fireworks (4th of july) actually aiming them at our windows and roof. Is there any sort of legal action that someone can take against such individuals? any thoughts?

The best thing you can do is take pictures, video tape and record dates and times of incidents. Then go to you local city hall and file harassment charges against them. Usually the harassment calms down when they see you video tapping them or taking pictures. DO NOT SPEAK TO THEM PERIOD! Take your pictures, video's and move on. DO NOT EVER SPEAK TO THEM. This gives you control back. If you speak, discuss or talk with them, you start round one all over again.

Since this is occuring in San Diego, CA law would apply. And in CA it is not a criminal act to be a vulgar, crude, or annoying neighbor. If they are disturbing the peace of the resident, the police might be able to intercede, but rarely is calling someone a crude name going to rise to that level. And even if it did, it would result in a citation followed by a two or three month delay before court IF the DA pursued the case.

The best course of action might be to gather the witnesses and their statements, any tapes made of their actions, and seek a civil harassment (restraining) order against the neighbors across the street.

- Carl

jengland said:
i am currently experiencing harrassment via my new neighbors. They verbally assault my wife with foul language; they bought spot lights and shine them on my home, and they are currently bombarding my home with fireworks (4th of july) actually aiming them at our windows and roof. Is there any sort of legal action that someone can take against such individuals? any thoughts?
What state?

If they are aiming fireworks at your home, that could be criminal (depending on the fireworks laws in your state). Check witht he police.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back