neighbor's garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

morrist

I am the owner of property in an unorganized township in northern Ontario. My neighbor has been depositing various garbage along our property line for some. He has recently began dumping 45 and 200 gallon oil tanks here. Their contents are unknown to me. A fence will "remove" the sight of the trash but I am concerned that the contents of the tanks may destroy my septic bed or the water table as we are all use well water in this area. Before I approach my neighbor with my concerns I was hoping to learn what options I have if he refuses to listen.

I'd first ask a very legitimate question as to whether or not your neighbor has some type of permit or whether such actions are permissible within zoning. I'd discuss it with the neighbor and report your neighbor's actions to the appropriate agency to handle if he doesn't do anything. I'd take pictures as well especially due to the environmental dangers involved here.

Originally posted by morrist
I am the owner of property in an unorganized township in northern Ontario. My neighbor has been depositing various garbage along our property line for some. He has recently began dumping 45 and 200 gallon oil tanks here. Their contents are unknown to me. A fence will "remove" the sight of the trash but I am concerned that the contents of the tanks may destroy my septic bed or the water table as we are all use well water in this area. Before I approach my neighbor with my concerns I was hoping to learn what options I have if he refuses to listen.

I would be very surprised if this kind of "dump" is legal in your province, so I would do as mentioned above, take some pics and talk to your county's environmental protection agency about that. Your concerns are definitely valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back