Neighbors Fire Break on My Land

kbreda

First a little history.

I have a home on 5 acres in Central California, in the Sierra foothills. It is required by Dept of Forestry and insurance companies that homeowners in the WUI (Wildland/Urban Interface) areas maintain a 100 foot clearance from the edge of dwelling by "reduction or removal of flammable vegetation and combustible materials". One of my neighbors, whose house is roughly 5 (five) feet from my property line is constantly demanding that I clear my property 100 feet from her house. I checked with both the local fire jurisdiction (Cal Fire) and my insurance company, and the requirement is 100 feet, or to the property line, and is the responsibility the individual land/home owner. Her house is 200 yards from mine and I told them that although I am not responsible for their fire breaks, in the interest of being a good neighbor and just being human, they have my permission and blessing to do whatever they need on my property to maintain their defensible zone. Now they are telling me that I owe them for cost they have incurred paying a person to cut the weeds back on my side of the line. They are quite unreasonable and not willing to discuss any other scenarios.

What I would like to do is grant them some sort of permission, or right to trespass for maintaining their fire break only, and no other rights, to my land. Is there such a thing?

I suggest you stop talking to them.
I also suggest you stop offering others a right-of-way to trespass across your property.
That may seem neighborly, but it can end up harming you financially.
If doing something isn't required to be done by force or operation of law, don't do it, don't offer it.
You do see how your latest kindness has been rebuked and rebuffed.
You aren't required to defend your actions to anyone but a court of law, after a court proceeding has been commenced.
If they sue, you defend.
Be smart, avoid them.
Living next door or in proximity doesn't obligate you to do anything but obey existing laws.
Working with someone doesn't mean that person is your lover, spouse, or any more than another employee.

I suggest you stop talking to them.
I also suggest you stop offering others a right-of-way to trespass across your property.
That may seem neighborly, but it can end up harming you financially.
If doing something isn't required to be done by force or operation of law, don't do it, don't offer it.
You do see how your latest kindness has been rebuked and rebuffed.
You aren't required to defend your actions to anyone but a court of law, after a court proceeding has been commenced.
If they sue, you defend.
Be smart, avoid them.
Living next door or in proximity doesn't obligate you to do anything but obey existing laws.
Working with someone doesn't mean that person is your lover, spouse, or any more than another employee.

Thanks. Believe me, we are not talking. They just sneak over and drop notes on my porch demanding payment. Should I post No Trespass signs and keep them out? My ultimate goal is to take the wind out of their sails and have them leave me alone about it. We just bought the place, and the previous owner used to do it just to not hear her b*tch. He even offered to give her the strip of land to shut her up but they did not want to pay the conveyance fees. I have no intention of doing it, or paying for it. Just looking for the best way to have them take care of their own business.

Thanks. Believe me, we are not talking. They just sneak over and drop notes on my porch demanding payment. Should I post No Trespass signs and keep them out? My ultimate goal is to take the wind out of their sails and have them leave me alone about it. We just bought the place, and the previous owner used to do it just to not hear her b*tch. He even offered to give her the strip of land to shut her up but they did not want to pay the conveyance fees. I have no intention of doing it, or paying for it. Just looking for the best way to have them take care of their own business.

If I were you, I'd ignore their demands and notes.
Putting up "no trespassers allowed" and a "no solicitors" signage wouldn't be a bad idea.
I'd follow up on that and call the sheriff each time they violate your property rights.
Otherwise, mum's the word.

Back