neighbor troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

tandemmom1

My neighbor has been causing me problems for the last 1 1/2 years.

Three times she has thrown trash into our yard, the last was poop. I have video cameras that caught the act. I did call the police and a deputy came out and viewed the tape and saw the poop in my yard. He told me that I could do 1 of 2 things: 1: he could go and tell her that she had to pick up the poop. 2: He could file a report and I could file it withe the magistrate court. I can't believe that I have to do something about it and the police can not help.

What to do?

Sam

If you don't want to handle it in civil court (intentional tort theories such as trespass to property, intentional infliction of emotional distress, others), then you can look up the city and county criminal codes and see if any of them apply. Then you could try contacting the city/county attorney and discussing it with them, and see if they can give you the correct law enforcement office and division that will handle something like this. Sometimes the police won't act on unusual incidents because they don't always know the rules for unusual things, and it sometimes takes the city/county attorney to get involved and say that there was a rule broken. But if the city/county decides not to prosecute, and you can't convince them, then take it to civil court. Even in criminal court, you will still have to go and testify as the victim. Some states criminalize trespass, but the elements must be met. This could also be a violation of some health ordinance or trash disposal ordinance or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back