neighbor harrassment dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.

elnyag

I live in a community of townhouses and my next door neighbor rented out his home to people who have violated almost every bylaw of the HOA. Ever since they moved here in November, its been nothing but noise, garbage, fire hazards from discarded cigarettes and inappropriate vulgar language. They were asked to stop disposing lit cigarettes outside very nicely, so they started throwing them in the back, an area prone to brush fires. When they are not having a domestic dispute, they fight with various neighbors, the parcel delivery man, cabbies, and/or on the phone with someone else. This has been ongoing almost daily since November. During one very chaotic scene, an individual from their home was taken into custody by 5+ NYPD squad cars. There are public records of members of their family being arrested for burglarly. Not to mention, I had to file a police report against these tenants for harassment twice. They accused me of running over someone from their household, a female from the home threatened myself and my family, verbally attacked and threatened a contractor I had hired to build a fence in my backyard. Their landlord was contacted on several occasions, but instead of abating the problem, he made it worse. He told them that it was us specifically complaining while it was from the entire HOA, he put my whole family in danger. The problem got so out of hand the HOA organized an emergency meeting with the landlord and he begged us to give them one more chance. My family along with the HOA members agreed under the circumstances that they will stop being a nuisance, no longer harass any neighbors and they will behave according to our neighborhood bylaws. A few days passed, and they broke their agreement, a female from the home started blasting music so loud the walls in our homes shook, it was so loud an awning from the chandelier in our home fell off. In fact, as I am posting this thread, the woman is yelling at the top of her lungs outside again. Please advise me on what I can do, I feel like a helpless prisoner in my own home, totally lost the enjoyment of my property. :dunno:

You live in an area controlled by an HOA.

You should address your concerns (along with proof - pictures, recordings, videoes, etc...) of their antics.

If there is a potential law violation or danger to property, life, or a disturbance of the peace, call "911".

You had your chance to rid yourselves of these pests, don't give second chances to fourth rate losers and miscreants!

I did call 911. I have 2 reports on them already. My HOA doesn't want to evict them because their landlord told the HOA President that they will get angry and "burn down all our houses". In NYC, as the police told me, they cannot arrest a person for threatening you unless they do it on email, voicemail, and/or text or if they do it in front of an officer. Also, they said it is illegal to record someone with audio without getting their permission.

Recording Conversations

I did call 911. I have 2 reports on them already. My HOA doesn't want to evict them because their landlord told the HOA President that they will get angry and "burn down all our houses". In NYC, as the police told me, they cannot arrest a person for threatening you unless they do it on email, voicemail, and/or text or if they do it in front of an officer. Also, they said it is illegal to record someone with audio without getting their permission.

Different States have different laws, but in New York State I believe only one party to a conversation needs to be aware that that conversation is being recorded. So, if you are in New York and they are talking to you, then you may record the conversarion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back