Neighbor harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myke3142

To make a long story short. Our neighbor is continually calling the police on us and our children. When the Police arrive, they find nothing going on and leave. Sometimes they drive by several times even before they stop because they neither see or
hear anything going on. He calls and knows that no matter what the police have to respond to his calls. My question is, can I get
copies of the police reports and use these to take this guy to court for harassment? And also, how can I get the police to acknowledge that these are unwarranted calls and they should prosecute him also? It's become the joke of the neighborhood that the police are at our house again and they know that nothing is going on. He has even called our landlords several times and they are tired of it. They have agreed to testify if we ever take this to court. It's very embarassing having the police come to your house 4 to 5 times a month. Even they are getting tired of responding to his calls but, they don't seem to want to do anything about it.
Any help and advise would be appreciated.

What have the police said regarding the false reports? They would be a good source as to whom to complain to first with regard to having your neighbors investigated for their false claims.

Yes, you can speak to a lawyer with regard to liability for their conduct, intending to inflict emotional harm on you and your children in addition to a claim for defamation. This will not be a small claims case and could cost some money. It might be worth it both for a potential recovery (not really sure what that might be... difficult to assess) and moreso for affect and it will stop the harrassment. Do remember, though, that this kind of a case may likely not be taken on contingency. I wouldn't be surprised if it costs a few thousand if you are not trying to do it yourself and go "pro se." Of course, a letter is always cheapest and sending a certified return receipt "friendly warning" that they have continuously defamed, embarassed and humiliated you in front of your neighbors and the entire city with ongoing false police claims and that this cannot and will not be tolerated further. Any subsequent claims will be dealt with immediately and you will not hesitate to pursue remedies available to you... sometimes enough to put a little scare into those who have little regard for the authorities and our public resources... good luck.

Myke3142 said:
To make a long story short. Our neighbor is continually calling the police on us and our children. When the Police arrive, they find nothing going on and leave. Sometimes they drive by several times even before they stop because they neither see or
hear anything going on. He calls and knows that no matter what the police have to respond to his calls. My question is, can I get
copies of the police reports and use these to take this guy to court for harassment? And also, how can I get the police to acknowledge that these are unwarranted calls and they should prosecute him also? It's become the joke of the neighborhood that the police are at our house again and they know that nothing is going on. He has even called our landlords several times and they are tired of it. They have agreed to testify if we ever take this to court. It's very embarassing having the police come to your house 4 to 5 times a month. Even they are getting tired of responding to his calls but, they don't seem to want to do anything about it.
Any help and advise would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back