Neighbor encroachment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macgawd

I've got a crazy neighbor.

From the moment we moved into our new house, she has been a nuisance. Our first introduction was after she trespassed on our property, cut down about $1,000 worth of trees and bushes, then erected a chain link fence in violation of the neighborhood CR's. Long story short, we sued, they lost, and the landscaping was paid for, and the fence brought up to code.

The problem now is that she has become obsessed with the property line, and is now encroaching over the agreed upon line. At the corner of my driveway where our respective property meets, she has erected a monument to her insanity in the form of mounds of dirt, rocks, metal stakes, and whatever stray items she can find to stick in it. What she does on her side of the line is her business, but this whole thing has begun spilling over into my yard, and grows larger every day.

Am I within my rights to remove all the dirt, rocks, and other flotsam that is on my side of the line? The property is clearly marked by stakes, so there's no mistaking where my side of the line is, but I don't want to have to deal with the cops, or her annoying threatening letters from her lawyer.

Help!

Send her a letter giving her 24 hours to remove it, then cart it away. Let her know that anything else that spills onto your property will be removed without further notice.

Neighbor Encroachment/Trespassing

MacGawd,
Search the internet or ask your counsel about a "spite fence" or "spite wall". I think it's purpose is to keep property line squabbles & their resolutions from exaggerated to the letter/limit of the law & keeping parties within the spirit of the law.

Hope it helps,
Steve

Have you gotten anywhere with your crazy neighbor yet? Seems like you could raise a safety issue with her pile o' garbage. Maybe there is something in your city's codes that prohibits this kind of thing. You could try an inspector. We have code enforcement officials that just love to drive around and write people tickets for stuff just like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back