negligence by college

Mobarak

Jurisdiction
California
I enrolled for school last year for the fall of 2016 and was denied Financial aid do to my residential time period. I was giving 72hrs to pay the admission fee or my classes were to be dropped. Unable to come up with money to pay for school i decided next year would be a better chance. As I enroll for the fall2017 semester i was notified that im under academic probation for failing a class with an "F". I had spent an entire month hunting down deans, councilors, financial aid advisors, and the Staff for help to understand why I have failed a class that I didn't take or should have been in the registry form. A simple error made by staff that no one wants to correct but it falls on me. In the month i was going around looking for answers I realized a large number of staff and faculty are miss guiding students, not giving them truthful and educated answers to there questions but pointing them to the next person. I'm not in this for the money I don't care for it. I want these colleges to stop taking advantage of students. to stop running these schools like a business but more like an educational faculty. Where a student doesn't have to learn the hard way and lose on a lot of money and time just be told "you should of went this route instead of that" Schools are supposed to be there to help develop and evolve the mind, guide and recapture the belief a lot of students carry. Open new gate ways for the future. The action of this school caused student distress, lack of self motivation, and lost of direction. Doing so time and money. I ask for these school o better the programs, have a faculty and staff work shop where they are reminded that its a school not a business. To guide and not misdirect and to have answers for problems at all time without personal vendettas.

I enrolled for school last year for the fall of 2016 and was denied Financial aid do to my residential time period. I was giving 72hrs to pay the admission fee or my classes were to be dropped. Unable to come up with money to pay for school i decided next year would be a better chance. As I enroll for the fall2017 semester i was notified that im under academic probation for failing a class with an "F". I had spent an entire month hunting down deans, councilors, financial aid advisors, and the Staff for help to understand why I have failed a class that I didn't take or should have been in the registry form. A simple error made by staff that no one wants to correct but it falls on me. In the month i was going around looking for answers I realized a large number of staff and faculty are miss guiding students, not giving them truthful and educated answers to there questions but pointing them to the next person. I'm not in this for the money I don't care for it. I want these colleges to stop taking advantage of students. to stop running these schools like a business but more like an educational faculty. Where a student doesn't have to learn the hard way and lose on a lot of money and time just be told "you should of went this route instead of that" Schools are supposed to be there to help develop and evolve the mind, guide and recapture the belief a lot of students carry. Open new gate ways for the future. The action of this school caused student distress, lack of self motivation, and lost of direction. Doing so time and money. I ask for these school o better the programs, have a faculty and staff work shop where they are reminded that its a school not a business. To guide and not misdirect and to have answers for problems at all time without personal vendettas.

So what's your question?

Did you ever formally un-enroll other than failing to pay or at all give them your intent to not take classes after your enrollment? It sounds like assumed not paying would un-enroll you but for some reason that didn't happen. Unfortunately universities are run with a cross between educational professionals and often management that came from educational backgrounds. Often there are multiple people who all have to do a part of a process to get it to completion. (Just had two daughters graduate from two different colleges). I don't think you will find other colleges much different.

Possibly a smaller more intimate school? Even then by the time you get to college/university level, you are expected not to need as much handholding/help.

Were you initially enrolled in other classes, and only one remained on record, or was it just the one class the whole time?

There most likely is a formal appeal process that you must follow to address this, otherwise you get the run around. Investigate how to appeal your grade.

If you can show the school automatically removed you from some classes, but not all, that can help to show it was improper to give you a grade.

Also, your lack of attendance should have resulted in an automatic drop, which also gets no grade.

So you are generalizing your experience at one school handling one problem with a failure of higher education across the board? Makes sense.

Newsflash- colleges are businesses. They are not a public service. They do not exist to give you a gentle transition to the adult world, "evolve the mind, guide and recapture the belief a lot of students carry. Open new gate ways for the future." Whatever that means.

If you hear someone give information you know to be incorrect, feel free to chime with the right answer. I'm not sure how it is you happened to overhear advising appointments by a large number of staff members, let alone know that the advice given was untrue. Pointing an adult taking your class to another office or department to find the answer is not misleading.

Back