Needing legal answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is always about the non econ. which is what the plaintiff gets to keep. The hard costs are part of it but by the time everyone gets reimbursed what does that leave the Plaintiff? 700k? attorney gets half of that so more like 350ish give or take.

A lot of tort cases don't actually have a huge non economic component to them. You think juries award much in pain and suffering for a typical slip and fall injury? I'll tell you from experience, they don't. The value in economic damages is that (1) they are measured by some standard and not simply the whim of the jury and (2) they do compensate the plaintiff for the costs he or she has to pay. Win or lose in a personal injury case, for example, the plaintiff has those medical bills to pay. But if the plaintiff wins, he/she doesn't have to pay those bills — the defendant effectively pays them. When we win a judgment our firm negotiates with the various medical providers, etc., on payment so that even after we take our fee the plaintiff often has no bills to pay and does walk away with cash in hand. The fact that all the bills are paid is itself a benefit to the plaintiff, one that you seem to be unwilling to recognize.

I am not going to attack you like your posts come off to me.

I'm not attacking you. I am questioning where you are getting the figures you are seemingly pulling out of thin air.

I will say this, there are only roughly 100-150 actual good trial lawyers in complex civil litigation.

This figure is one of those. How did you determine that there are only roughly 150 good trial lawyers in the whole country for complex litigation? Do you actually have some independent source for that, or did you, if you'll excuse the phrase, just pull that figure out of your ass? If the former, what is that source? If the latter, I expect you won't admit to that, though I'd be impressed if you did.

There are plenty of sources out there and personal injury attorneys who belong to boards that share related work products. The purpose of this is to share advice and things that work. Those are not figures pulled out of the air but actual research. Many factors go into selecting the right attorney(s). That is up to the OP and I could care less what your firm or experience in civil litigation is since it doesn't apply to SE Missouri and certainly doesn't apply to most southern states.

You first need to have a medical expert determine what the likely cause of the sepsis was. It's important to understand that a bad outcome does not necessarily mean that any of the medical professionals involved were negligent. Sometimes despite doing everything correctly bad outcomes occur. There is risk anytime you go in for medical procedures like this. The sepsis might have occurred for reasons having nothing to do with the procedure. Unless you can tie the sepsis to some clear evidence of negligence on the part of some medical professional there would be no medical malpractice claim to bring. That issue — finding negligence that would explain the sepsis — may be why lawyers are turning you down. The evidence of negligence may just not be there.
And that's fine. But I just want someone to tell me that's what happened. I just want peace

Yet you can't name one.

I am not doing research for the OP and/ or no other person on this forum. That would be commercial links and violate this sites TOCs. Kind of like you are doing now.

back to ignoring anything you say. I just wish it would keep you from seeing and thus replying to my posts.

I am not doing research for the OP and/ or no other person on this forum. That would be commercial links and violate this sites TOCs. Kind of like you are doing now.
Nobody is asking you to do research, rather, you are being asked to back up your statements with something even resembling facts.

back to ignoring anything you say. I just wish it would keep you from seeing and thus replying to my posts.
I'm just irresistible.

There are plenty of sources out there

Provide me then with the one that you relied upon for your figure of 150. If you can't do that then I'll just conclude you pulled that figure out of the air.

Many factors go into selecting the right attorney(s).

I agree.

That is up to the OP and I could care less what your firm or experience in civil litigation is since it doesn't apply to SE Missouri and certainly doesn't apply to most southern states.

I know you don't care. You seem to think you know all about how law firms and litigation works and thus won't listen to anyone else on the matter even if they have more experience in the area than you do. But the OP might care which opinions are by persons with actual experience in this, like lawyers associated with personal injury firms, and those who have little experience, like someone who isn't a lawyer and doesn't work for a law firm.

Last edited:
And that's fine. But I just want someone to tell me that's what happened. I just want peace
That is something you would need to discuss with her doctor(s)...or if you are able to get her medical records you could take then to another doctor and they may be able to explain what happened.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Thread closed due to incessant off-topic arguing among responders.

Redemptionman, you hijacked the thread with your comment (#7) about tort caps which had nothing to do with CatOG's question.

As for the rest of you, please don't argue with each other. It doesn't do original posters any good.

CatOG, first, you have my sincere sympathies on your loss.

The first step is to get your daughter's medical records and have them reviewed by another doctor, or by a med-mal attorney. Either should be able to tell you if there was any negligence or malpractice involved. What legal options you do or don't have will all stem from that.

If you have additional questions that you would like to ask, message me privately and we'll either reopen this thread or have you start a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back