Needed Certification for Real Estate Lawyer?

D

davidp5118

Jurisdiction
California
To become a real estate lawyer, is additional certification needed besides a law degree?

For example, passing your state real estate license examination or an LLM in real estate?

Just wondering if specific, real estate centered, certifications were needed. Or if you can simply join a real estate firm out of law school and begin practicing.

Many thanks,
David P

Or if you can simply join a real estate firm out of law school and begin practicing.

I don't know about you but it makes sense to me that the answer to that would be gleaned by contacting real estate laws firms and asking what qualifications they look for when they hire a real estate lawyer.

To become a real estate lawyer, is additional certification needed besides a law degree?

For example, passing your state real estate license examination or an LLM in real estate?

Just wondering if specific, real estate centered, certifications were needed. Or if you can simply join a real estate firm out of law school and begin practicing.

Many thanks,
David P

I graduated from an ABA accredited law school decades ago.
In those ensuing years, my classmates have gone on to lofty heights.
You don't major in anything in law school.
You attend law school.
You graduate.
Law school does little to prepare you for a practice specialty.
You specialize after you graduate.
I call it apprenticing upon graduation.
You can't do any of that until you earn your JD.
Slow your roll, grasshopper.
Seek acceptance to any ABA accredited law school, or in your case, any CA state accredited law school, too.
Work hard for three hellish years.
Somewhere during your 2L experience, things begin to clear in the fog of law school attendance.
Good luck.

"You come in here with a skull full of mush; you leave thinking like a lawyer."

Spoken by Professor Kingsfield (Paper Chase) to a new class of law school students on the first day.

Back