Need Some Good Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

brucebj

My ex-wife and I were married in Illinois. When we split I moved away for work opportunities and I filed for divorce in Oklahoma. She signed the papers and returned them. There was a specific dollar amount spelled out for the support of our one child in the divorce papers. I now live in Texas & over the years I have adjusted that amount in our divorce papers (without any courts involvement), to meet the 20% rule without her ever having taken me to court. She has now threatened to take me to court and I need to know first of all where I would have to appear (what state), and if it turns out I have erred in my calculations of how much I provide her in child support can I be held to a back support amount even though I provide her far more than the dollar amount in the divorce papers that she agreed to and never has taken me to court for increase on.

You most likely will NOT owe back child support. She agreed to a certain amount and that is what you have to pay unless a JUDGE changes it. She cannot now come back and change it retroactively. She can file where she lives or you can file where you live, either court will likely have jurisdiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back