Need some advice on private driveway and public sidewalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mori1

Several years, I had a neighbor move in across the street with the most destructive kids. Within the first month of their arrival they decided my yard was there play area and killed two $12 plants. Over the last two years, they have to kill several other plants in my yard and my neighbors. They were even kind enough to paint her house with fingernail polished. After several warnings an threats the have stayed out of my yard.
I live in duplex where I share a driveway. Last year, my neighbor's girlfriend moved in with their child. She became friends with the worthless caregiver across the street. I say worthless, because she doesn't really watch the kids she is entrusted with. Well this summer, my neighbor's girlfriend allowed the kids across the street to play on their side of the driveway. This didn't become a problem until the kids started playing in the driveway when they weren't there. I have come close to hitting them because I didn't see them. The last straw was when the six year old pushed her baby sibling in the stroller from their driveway to our driveway just as I was getting ready to back out. I almost had a heart attack.

After this, I talked to neighbor letting them know that when they are not home, the kids can not be on the driveway. My thing is what if something were to happen? I don't have renter's insurance and we live a sue for everything society. They agree with this but a week later the kids were riding there bikes on the driveway again. So with the worthless caregiver and my neighbor's girlfriend. We came to agreed that the kids could be over there when they were home only. Of course they broke that agreement within two weeks later. So I put into writing to my neighbor and his girlfriend what was agreed upon. Haven't had a problem until today when the father said that my neighbors said it was okay for the kids to ride the driveway. I said no and gave him a copy of the letter that wrote to my neighbor. Now he's saying that because the sidewalk start's in my neighbor's yard the kids can ride up into the driveway to ride on the sidewalk.

So ysterday, after talking to my landlady, I wrote another letter to my neighbor and his girlfriend. Stating, I need in writing that they told the people across the street stating that the kids are not allowed in the driveway when they are not at home. I asked both to sign it and to please give me a copy. I'm hoping to get that by this weekend. Next, I have to look into the city of Olathe about private driveway and public sidewalks. I tried looking online but I'm having trouble. I have no idea what direction I should start looking in.

Several years, I had a neighbor move in across the street with the most destructive kids. Within the first month of their arrival they decided my yard was there play area and killed two $12 plants. Over the last two years, they have to kill several other plants in my yard and my neighbors. They were even kind enough to paint her house with fingernail polished. After several warnings an threats the have stayed out of my yard.
I live in duplex where I share a driveway. Last year, my neighbor's girlfriend moved in with their child. She became friends with the worthless caregiver across the street. I say worthless, because she doesn't really watch the kids she is entrusted with. Well this summer, my neighbor's girlfriend allowed the kids across the street to play on their side of the driveway. This didn't become a problem until the kids started playing in the driveway when they weren't there. I have come close to hitting them because I didn't see them. The last straw was when the six year old pushed her baby sibling in the stroller from their driveway to our driveway just as I was getting ready to back out. I almost had a heart attack.

After this, I talked to neighbor letting them know that when they are not home, the kids can not be on the driveway. My thing is what if something were to happen? I don't have renter's insurance and we live a sue for everything society. They agree with this but a week later the kids were riding there bikes on the driveway again. So with the worthless caregiver and my neighbor's girlfriend. We came to agreed that the kids could be over there when they were home only. Of course they broke that agreement within two weeks later. So I put into writing to my neighbor and his girlfriend what was agreed upon. Haven't had a problem until today when the father said that my neighbors said it was okay for the kids to ride the driveway. I said no and gave him a copy of the letter that wrote to my neighbor. Now he's saying that because the sidewalk start's in my neighbor's yard the kids can ride up into the driveway to ride on the sidewalk.

So ysterday, after talking to my landlady, I wrote another letter to my neighbor and his girlfriend. Stating, I need in writing that they told the people across the street stating that the kids are not allowed in the driveway when they are not at home. I asked both to sign it and to please give me a copy. I'm hoping to get that by this weekend. Next, I have to look into the city of Olathe about private driveway and public sidewalks. I tried looking online but I'm having trouble. I have no idea what direction I should start looking in.

I'll give you the BAD news, first.
Your letter is useless, in the event of a tragedy.
You can't rid yourself of a legal duty.
You can't get someone to sign away any rights they may have under law.
Bottom line, forget the letter. That was a bad move.

You can keep the little, unsupervised, savages off of your driveway.
You can keep them off of your lawn.
You can keep them off your porch, and even off your steps.
I would advise AGAINST you doing this.
If you witness these transgressions, call your local police agency.

If these little miscreants are on the sidewalk (or the grassy area between the street and sidewalk), they are NOT trespassing.
If they are there ALONE, they're endangering themselves.
They need to be supervised.
You should call the police for the safety of the little transgressors.

Now, for the good news.
The next time you observe these little miscreants, unsupervised, call the police.
Parents must supervise their little "darlings".
You can also report these little miscreants for trespassing.
The police will document your complaint, and eventually the parents and their little "terrors" will be hauled into COURT.
Kansas statute on parental supervision:

http://da.jocogov.org/juvenile/kansas_statutes.shtml

http://www.enotes.com/everyday-law-encyclopedia/parent-liability-child-s-act

You can also report NEGLECTED (UNSUPERVISED, POORLY SUPERVISED) children: To report child or adult abuse or neglect call 1-800-922-5330.
Information on child abuse/neglect: http://www.srs.ks.gov/agency/cfs/Documents/Child Abuse Reprting Guide.pdf

Last edited:
My goal was to have the agreement in writing so that they would stop saying it was okay that my neighbor said it was okay for them to use the drive way. Thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate it.

Put a private drive no trespassing sign at the front of your drive, then do as army said and call the police if they are unsupervised in your drive. if your neighbor gives them the right to come in it to visit her then there is not much to do about that. Good luck and i kinda went through the same thing where I live when my neighbor gave permission to somone to use our lane to look for his hunting dogs when they are out. he abused the right and when I called the police I was told as long as my neighbor had given him the right to use it then there was not much i could do as long as he was using it for the reason of looking for his dogs. ofcourse everytime hes on it thats what he claims:mad:

Thanks guys, like I said when the neighbors are home, its no big deal but when they are not there it become a safety issue. I will have another talk my neighbor and his girlfriend to see what can be done. I've always view calling the police as the last result but as it was pointed out to me today by a friend I need to be tough about this.

Police won't help you much with this. These sound like very young kids and this is not a criminal issue.
It seems like the solution to your problem is a fence. Good fences make good neighbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back