Need out of state pro bono lawyer

VJack

Jurisdiction
Indiana
I live in Atlanta, Ga and received a midemeanor charge for possession of paraphernalia and was not able to make the court date for financial reasons. They issued a warrant which I found out when I applied for a new job. I want to see if I can get a pro bono lawyer but it's impossible to find out how to do that living out of state. Is this something that is possible? Or is it possible to get the warrant lifted myself and get a new court date? Any assistance would be appreciated.

If you reside outside of the state where you were arrested on this paraphernalia charge, chances are you won't be extradited from GA to IN, if you were to get arrested or receive a traffic citation in GA.

However, if you were to be arrested AGAIN in IN (or come to the attention of police, as in traffic citation in a neighboring state to IN... ie... MI, IL, KY, or OH) you're likely to end up in a jail.

I doubt that you'll find an attorney willing to work for free on your case.

As you've discovered, employers run criminal background checks.

The easiest way to clear this up, is contact the court and pay the fine.

This website describes HOW one might proceed:

How to Get Out of a Possession of Paraphernalia Charge in Indiana

Note, drug abuse is illegal within most states.

The mere possession of paraphernalia can cause one legal troubles.

Wise up, clean up, obey all of their laws.

Should you continue to break their laws, you can expect your life to become complicated.

I live in Atlanta, Ga and received a midemeanor charge for possession of paraphernalia and was not able to make the court date for financial reasons. They issued a warrant which I found out when I applied for a new job. I want to see if I can get a pro bono lawyer but it's impossible to find out how to do that living out of state. Is this something that is possible? Or is it possible to get the warrant lifted myself and get a new court date? Any assistance would be appreciated.

One option is contacting the public defender's office for the county in which the charges are brought. Because of the public defender's office, it is not all that common to find criminal defense attorneys taking on many pro bono clients. However, contacting the state bar association in the state where this occurred might get you a list of lawyers who may be able to assist you.

I live in Atlanta, Ga and received a midemeanor charge for possession of paraphernalia and was not able to make the court date for financial reasons.

What "financial reasons"? Does that mean you had spent all your money on drugs and paraphernalia? Did you contact the court before the court date to see if there was a way that you could dispose of the charge by paying a fine? Possession of paraphernalia is the sort of crime that's likely to result only in a fine.

I want to see if I can get a pro bono lawyer

No such thing exists. Lawyers have bills to pay just like everyone else. Some lawyers will occasionally take cases on a pro bono basis, but it's not like the advertise. Some lawyers are employed by non-profit groups that provide free legal representation for certain types of cases. However, no private attorney is going to provide free representation in a case such as you describe, unless that lawyer happens to be a friend or friend of a friend. You need to see if you're eligible to have a public defender appointed.

it's impossible to find out how to do that living out of state.

How exactly is it that you "received a . . . charge for possession of paraphernalia" in Atlanta, GA if you live in another state? What is the other state?

Or is it possible to get the warrant lifted myself and get a new court date?

In the abstract world of all that is hypothetical, virtually anything is possible. I'd suggest calling the court clerk and/or the district attorney handling the case and asking about the possibility of taking care of the charge remotely.

What "financial reasons"? Does that mean you had spent all your money on drugs and paraphernalia? Did you contact the court before the court date to see if there was a way that you could dispose of the charge by paying a fine? Possession of paraphernalia is the sort of crime that's likely to result only in a fine.

No, it does not mean I spent all my money on drugs and paraphernalia. I just started working after having a broken ankle and unable to work for several month, that is the financial reason.

No such thing exists. Lawyers have bills to pay just like everyone else. Some lawyers will occasionally take cases on a pro bono basis, but it's not like the advertise. Some lawyers are employed by non-profit groups that provide free legal representation for certain types of cases. However, no private attorney is going to provide free representation in a case such as you describe, unless that lawyer happens to be a friend or friend of a friend. You need to see if you're eligible to have a public defender appointed.

How exactly is it that you "received a . . . charge for possession of paraphernalia" in Atlanta, GA if you live in another state? What is the other state?

I live in Atlanta, the charge was in Indiana.

In the abstract world of all that is hypothetical, virtually anything is possible. I'd suggest calling the court clerk and/or the district attorney handling the case and asking about the possibility of taking care of the charge remotely.

Thank you

Back