Other Green Card Issue Need Info on Revoked Green Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

popcorn_22

My mother in law recently had to renew her green card as it expired in May 2009. She has had her green card since like 1972 after she married an American & was married for 11 yrs when she divorced her husband. She remained in the US raising her children until 1995 when her father became ill with cancer so she went back to Japan to care for him. It was only suppose to last for a little while & she was to come back.

Since the laws were different back then, she ended up staying over there & came back to the US every 5-6 months & stayed for about 2 weeks, according to the law back then you had to return every 6 months to keep her green card.

In 2002, she forgot her green card in Japan but had her passport. The Immigrations Officer allowed her into the US & told her that she had to remain here or she would lose her green card & not be allowed back in. The officer documented everything in a computer. She ended up staying with us for 4 months applying for a job & even bought a car. MIL ended up seeing a lawyer who told her to apply for a re-entry permit. She did & had one for 2 years, then it expired. To my knowledge, she never re-applied for another one.

Fast forward to Thanksgiving 2010, she was caught at the Japan airport with an expired green card. They let her through & she came to the US without any problems. She went ahead & filed her paperwork along with the $400 fee to renew her green card. Her appointment to have her Biometrics done was Jan 20, 2011.

When she arrived in the US for her Biometrics Appointment, the Immigration/Customs Officer saw she had an expired green card & questioned her. The Officer ended up taking it & she signed a paper to voluntarily give up her green card since she has been caring for her 97 yr old father for the past 5 years full time & cannot stay in the US right now.

She has yet to inform her son or me the status on this issue, which she should have given to us the same day she had to go to INS as she uses our address as her "home" address.

My questions are: since she lost her green card, does she also lose her driver's license & social security card that she has had since the 1970's?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to get into trouble since she has been irresponsible with her green card status.

Thank you

She should retain the services of an immigration attorney.
If she doesn't clean her act up, she's heading for BIG trouble.
If she doesn't want to correct this, maybe she might just want to return to Japan.
Some of those border officers can be cantankerous, especially after "911".
People are paranoid these days!

Thanks for your reply. On a side note, my MIL & I do not get along at all -- been like this for almost 15 yrs.

She actually told me that it was just a matter of time before the card would have been taken away. I completely understand her reasoning for wanting to care for her elder father & all. She is the only one who will care for him as she believes he should not be placed in a facility to be cared for.....traditional Japanese belief I suppose.

Even though I have been with my husband since we started dating in 1996, I am still highly paranoid about her situation. I am afraid that since she uses our address for her US home address, that INS and/or the IRS will come looking for her. Since I am a stay at home mom & my husband works all day, I would be the one to answer to them.

With her losing the green card, will she be entitled to turn in her driver's license & social security card? She also has several bank accounts here in the US as well that she keeps current.

I am just paranoid on what is going to happen since my home/address is involved. She doesn't discuss any of her personal matter with her children's spouses. We are told to go somewhere else or wait until the spouses are gone before speaking to her children.

Thanks for your reply. On a side note, my MIL & I do not get along at all -- been like this for almost 15 yrs.

She actually told me that it was just a matter of time before the card would have been taken away. I completely understand her reasoning for wanting to care for her elder father & all. She is the only one who will care for him as she believes he should not be placed in a facility to be cared for.....traditional Japanese belief I suppose.

Even though I have been with my husband since we started dating in 1996, I am still highly paranoid about her situation. I am afraid that since she uses our address for her US home address, that INS and/or the IRS will come looking for her. Since I am a stay at home mom & my husband works all day, I would be the one to answer to them.

With her losing the green card, will she be entitled to turn in her driver's license & social security card? She also has several bank accounts here in the US as well that she keeps current.

I am just paranoid on what is going to happen since my home/address is involved. She doesn't discuss any of her personal matter with her children's spouses. We are told to go somewhere else or wait until the spouses are gone before speaking to her children.

If the authorities come looking for her, tell the truth.
Tell them you haven't seen her in ____ years.
You don't know where she could be, but she does have a drivers license, credit cards, bank accounts, and floats back and forth across the Pacific.
But, with all the US ties and interests, they could use their investigative techniques to find her.
End it with, "If I see her, do you want me to tell her to turn herself to the nearest police agency?"

So they already know she has been living overseas, hence revoking the green card.

Now, does she have to turn in her PA driver's license & her SS card?

Thanks

So they already know she has been living overseas, hence revoking the green card.

Now, does she have to turn in her PA driver's license & her SS card?

Thanks

Why not call each agency and ask them that hypothetical question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back