Need Help Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnuck

Ok....here goes.
I signed a one yr lease for a villa with a loft in Broward County, FL. The lease was signed this past March of 2006. My lease clearly indicates the numerous repairs needed. Many of these repairs are safety and health related. One of which is a new staircase leading up to the loft. This was built without a permit and by a non licensed "neighbor." After 3 certified letters to the landlord, I decided to withold rent through the courts. After receiving my most recent letter giving him 10 days to complete these repairs or go to court he decides it's time to move & fix these issues. He came in today did some minor repairs asked another "neighbor" to enter our home as a witness to these repairs. Unfortunately she didn't witness him repairing anything only the "apparent" finished product. In front of my wife, he decides to tell this neighbor all of the problems he is having with us along with the fact that we are witholding rent. The "witness" is not certified or a licensed contractor so what is she witnessing? Can my landlord bring whomever they feel into our home without our consent and can they disclose our issues to them? My wife confronted him and he aplogized but it's too late, he has already aired our laundry. Is this not some sort of harrassment? He has not only embarassed my wife, but made her feel very uncomfortable and caused her to get extremely upset.
FLorida Statutes 83.53 line (3) states: The landlord shall not abuse the right of access nor use it to harass the tenant.
Please help... I need some feedback.
Thanks.
JM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back