NEED HELP PLEASE! Do I have legal ground here??

SupremeCai

Jurisdiction
Connecticut
My name is Colin McDermott. I attended University of Hartford 2015-2016 Fall and Spring semester. The Spring semester I switched advisers and was trying to do better than I did the Fall semester. But then my adviser dropped me from my Computer Science class, which in turn dropped me from my Computer Science Major. The scholarship I got was because I applied to THAT major. So I emailed my adviser asking what happened and why was I dropped about 4-6 times. I say 4-6 because I also emailed my old adviser and the Teaching Assistant of the CS class. After 4 days of emailing I went to her superior, the Dean of Students. He told me that he cannot add me back to the class or major because the deadline WAS THAT WEEK. I told him that shes been avoiding and ignoring me that entire week and that its unfair because if she responded and followed up with her office appointments I would be in. He said sorry and helped me make up the credits. Now here is the part where I need to know if I have any legal ground to sue or anything. After the Spring semester ended and I got accepted and transferred to another school for this upcoming Fall, they notified me that they will NOT release my official transcript for the new school. Reason being is because after they removed my scholarship (which I did not know about until that moment they denied the transcript) the rest of the semester charged me the difference. So they told me I needed to make up the difference and pay about 5 thousand dollars just to get my transcript. But I refuse to pay for administrative stupidity (also I dont have the money) and I have the emails still. So is there any legal ground here? Thank you so much.

You'll need to consult with a couple attorneys.
If a legal solution can be found, it'll take months, maybe years for you to receive it.
Lawsuits are expensive, and take time.

Frankly, I don't see a remedy through the courts.

Why?

You left out the part about the "WHY" you were regularly dropped.

Were you failing the class(es)?

Was your attendance irregular?

Or, as you seem to assert, was this simply an administrative nightmare?

If the latter, your remedy chances improved, but the court process will take at least a year to conclude.

Anyway, good luck.

You'll need to consult with a couple attorneys.
If a legal solution can be found, it'll take months, maybe years for you to receive it.
Lawsuits are expensive, and take time.

Frankly, I don't see a remedy through the courts.

Why?

You left out the part about the "WHY" you were regularly dropped.

Were you failing the class(es)?

Was your attendance irregular?

Or, as you seem to assert, was this simply an administrative nightmare?

If the latter, your remedy chances improved, but the court process will take at least a year to conclude.

Anyway, good luck.
The Fall semester I was not doing great and failed some classes. But I was able to stay in and worked harder to do so and in the Spring semester it tjrned into an administrative nightmare.

You have a bit of a mess and I doubt anyone here will be able to sort it out for you.
As long as you owe money the school won't release the transcript. That is normal.
Whether or not you owe the money is something that will take time to sort out. Were you told your scholarship was pulled? If so, when? With the information you were given was it reasonable to expect to have to pay to remain in the classes? Were you ever informed of amounts due? What is the language of any documents you were given?

No need to answer here, but find yourself a local attorney willing to listen and provide a free consultation. That is all information that needs to be brought out.

In short, you did attend the classes and you will most likely be on the hook to pay for them. You will need to show some kind of negligence on the part of the school that they failed to notify you that your scholarship would not cover the changes they forced on you after the semester had begun. Had you known it would cost 5k you likely would not have remained in school.

Good luck, but this will be an uphill fight and you won't likely succeed without legal assistance, and that is assuming someone finds reasonable grounds to pursue anything.

Back