Need help filing a complaint with bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlenebm

Last June I went into the bank and deposited 3 large bags of coins, after being counted they put the money into my account. Once I saw how much was put into my account, I called the banker I was working with and asked if the amount was correct and she had told me not to touch it for a few days and if it were still there then the money is mine. After a week, the money was still there so I began to spend it. Last month I received a letter from the bank informing me that $600 had been taken out of my account. I called the bank and they had told me that the day I took in my change, another person had taken in a bag of change to the same branch 50 miles away and they apparently put his money into my account. I asked if I was going to have to pay this money back and they told me yes, because it was never my money to begin with. If it was never my money, it should have never been in my account in the first place. I want to file a complaint against this bank because I dont feel that this is right that they've taken this money out of my account almost 7 months later and are not only asking me to pay them back and calling me at least 4 times a day but are requiring me to pay overdraft fees. Is it worth it to even file a complaint? Is it possible that if I do, I wont have to pay this money? Please Help!

It seems to have been an "honest" error. If it isn't your money, it's not really yours to keep.

Complaints against banks are filed with the state Attorney General's office or the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Complaints can also be filed with the BBB.

Last June I went into the bank and deposited 3 large bags of coins, after being counted they put the money into my account. Once I saw how much was put into my account, I called the banker I was working with and asked if the amount was correct and she had told me not to touch it for a few days and if it were still there then the money is mine. After a week, the money was still there so I began to spend it. Last month I received a letter from the bank informing me that $600 had been taken out of my account. I called the bank and they had told me that the day I took in my change, another person had taken in a bag of change to the same branch 50 miles away and they apparently put his money into my account. I asked if I was going to have to pay this money back and they told me yes, because it was never my money to begin with. If it was never my money, it should have never been in my account in the first place. I want to file a complaint against this bank because I dont feel that this is right that they've taken this money out of my account almost 7 months later and are not only asking me to pay them back and calling me at least 4 times a day but are requiring me to pay overdraft fees. Is it worth it to even file a complaint? Is it possible that if I do, I wont have to pay this money? Please Help!

You can file a complaint.

Betty told you where to look for information.

There will be an investigation.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

But, banks have cameras, and when they investigate they'll pull the video.

That will help the bank determine just what the heck happened.

They also have deposit slips, and they can analyze handwriting.

If the bank believes a theft has occurred, or fraud, the police will be called.

The police will get to the bottom of this.

Again, good luck.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back