Need "ammo" to convince parents to preapare wills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss_Tracy

My mother remarried about 15 years ago. Both her and her current husband have children from previous marriages (none together). There is much discord between my siblings and my stepfather (much too much to go into detail). My stepfather is convinced that if my mother dies without a will, he, as the surviving spouse will automatically inherit her estate (which is no real bounty) to disperse of as he sees fit. A friend of mine told me that blood relatives have more claim on a deceased persons estate than a surviving spouse (without a will). If so, this can go both ways...both sets of children can come in and purge at will. I want to see that each of them are protected when the other one dies. I don't know all of my stepfather's children but I do know my own siblings...if there's a way to get there hands on anything in the event mom dies before stepdad, they'll be there driving a U-haul truck to cart off all their treasures. So, what's the absolote best thing I can tell mom and dad to make sure they're not left destitute when the other one dies? Thanks!
--Tracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back