Need Advise! Please Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyboy21

My landlord was stealing my electricity for common areas in the 3 flat I lived in for 5 years. I found this out after a fuse blew & common area lights went out. The furnace and other things were on my meter as well. I reported it to the town & they gave the landlord 6violations. I cleaned the apt, took pics and waited to do a walk through upon moving. The landlord didn't show up for a walk through but left a note & a check for half the security deposit. The note said the apt looked great but he was short on money & would return the other half in 30 days as per our lease. I moved out and he called me. He said he wants me to sign a paper stating I didn't let anybody in the inspect the building. He said he needed it for court. He thinks the town broke in to take the pictures. I told him I wanted to stay out of it. I can't sign a form because I reported him! Now I'm afraid they will bring up my name in court & he won't return the 2nd half of my deposit. What can I do at this point? How do I go about bringing up a lawsuit. I want my other half of security but what about the electricity he was stealing for 5 years? I'm in Cook County. I really need to know what I should do at this point. Please advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back