Assault & Battery Need advice badly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stereomom

On August 8th, I was arrested for simple assault on my husband, and two 'adult' stepchildren, and one step grandson. 4 warrants in all. I have never been in trouble with the law, and the night this happened my husband and I both agreed not to press charges. He changed his mind the next day. When I appeared before the judge, I was released on a $500 unsecured bond, and was asked if any of the people lived with me. I told him my husband did. He told me I was not to try and communicate with any of them, and that I may want to seek another place of residence. My husband had left the home, and gone to FL with my 10 year old son. He told my father that I could stay here. My questions are, he's planning on coming back here on Saturday. Do I have to leave, or has he relinquished his right to the home by leaving first? How do I get my son, if he refuses to let him stay with me?

I still can't believe that he did this. No one was hurt, and I was hit in the back of the head, and I still have bruises on my body from the brawl.

Thanks to anyone that can help guide me.

It would help greatly if we knew what state you are in, as many of your answers are dependent on your state laws.

This is going to be a rather complex and stickey situation, and I would plan on the marriage being over. Once it ever reaches a point of violence, that should be an ending point.

That thing you really need to do is get a lawyer or public defender, and have them advise you about how to handle most of this. In the mean time, you need to call the police and ask what needs to happen with him coming home.

As to your son, that's really going to be up to the courts, but you are not divorced or in the process (yet) so, he may be able to let him stay in Florida, for now.

Be Wise. Listen to what the Judge told you! If your husband did this to you, what makes you think he won't call the Police and tell them that you are in the house?
If you know that he is coming back, leave the house. And, do not talk to him. You need an Attorney ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back