Criminal Law naturaization question

Status
Not open for further replies.

minhshin

This question is regarding my younger brother. He was arrested for petty theft and aggravated assault when he was a juvenile. Thoses records were sealed since he was a juvenile. Then he got arrested for unlawfully carrying a firearm when he was an adult. He has been here for 18 years and has been a permanent resident for 18 years. There were other arrests but they were all dismissed. He has not gotten any trouble in the past 5 years.
1) does he have a chance of getting a citizenship?
2) Will he be deported instead?
3) His green card expires in 2 years. Do they do a background check to renew a green card?
4) Is their a chance he will be deported when he tries to renew his green card?

Thankt you so much !

1) Does he have a chance of getting a citizenship?
It is at the discretion of immigration officials but he might need a waiver. They might not focus much on his record before be became an adult. Such cases are on a case by case bases. But his adult charge has to meet the petit crime exception.

2) Will he be deported instead?
Get a lawyer. It is possible if his charges don't meet the petit crime exception.

3) His green card expires in 2 years. Do they do a background check to renew a green card?
It is possible they could check now given the way the system has become more efficient. Some people have gotten it even with deportable convictions but some have been caught……I can't predict the outcome.

4) Is their a chance he will be deported when he tries to renew his green card?
It does not happen often. But a few cases I have heard of after convictions set up for deportation hearings…………Can't tell if he would get lucky or why some people with deportable convictions did not get caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back