Nationwide Bank held my account

Marjorys

Jurisdiction
Ohio
Hello,
In 2015 I opened a bank account at Nationwide Bank via internet. I use few times the bank but never overdraft them (I printed all statements from the date of opening the account)
In March 2016, I deposit a check in my step daughter name, that check comes from a tax agency, and belongs to her tax refund for the amount of 2760.00 (I have the check images on file). Nationwide have an application by phone where you can deposit checks, since my step daughter don't have a bank account at the time I deposited the check, third part check in my account. In the bank policy about third part checks said is a sole discretion of the bank to place the funds on your account or return the check. Well, nationwide cash the check and one day after they frozen my account. I was unable to see the balance or anything regarding the account. I call them and they direct me to the bank fraud department email (I have all records of emails from and to the bank in my email folders) after asking for my us passport, proof of address, utility bills, my step daughter information, copies of ID's, everything, they told me that the money will be release in one or two days, 12 months past by, my step daughter call to the IRS but the Check deposited (a good one ) was provided by a tax agency for those services they pay you in advance. The IRS check the records and everything was in order, She get a letter from the check issue financial company to tell Nationwide to return the funds to the original check issue ( one of the solutions) nothing, Nationwide held the money until last week, March 14,2017, when I was able to enter to the online banking they where taking account maintenance fees for 12 months. I said ok, at least I can pay the money to my step daughter, wrong, the bank never replace me the debit card , the debit card was stoped for fraud? Well, I send her 100 dollars via bill payment to her bank, and 900 after that (limited to send money $1000 at month. I send the money to the same person named in the original check, my step daughter. Well, the bank yesterday frozen my account again, and keeps around 1510 something in to my account. I call the bank and they asked me for the same paperwork sent to them one year ago, I resent them all papers again, current bills with my current and same address. I have read many people accounts was frozen by this bank for no reason. They takes maintenance fees from your account and you can't use your own money. I need some help and advice. Thanks

As a practical matter there is probably nothing you can do to the bank without spending thousands on litigation.

So get your money out of the bank as soon as you can and close the account.

Meantime, have your stepdaughter get her own checking account. If she's old enough to get big refunds from the IRS she's old enough to have her own account.

Most banks are suspicious of large third party checks so you might have the same problem if you try that with other banks.

As a practical matter there is probably nothing you can do to the bank without spending thousands on litigation.

So get your money out of the bank as soon as you can and close the account.

Meantime, have your stepdaughter get her own checking account. If she's old enough to get big refunds from the IRS she's old enough to have her own account.

Most banks are suspicious of large third party checks so you might have the same problem if you try that with other banks.
I try to close the account and the bank don't let me to do it. In 2016 my step daughter don't have a bank account, and was her first refund, she have a bank account now. But all paperwork from the IRS was sent to the bank after check deposited. As I said the check was deposited in to my bank 12 months ago. They let me enter to the online banking last week after a year, and close my access to online banking again yesterday.
Thanks for the advice.

I agree. Find a new bank, preferably something local so you can walk in and actually speak with someone. Most banks these days offer online services if that is a feature you require.
I'm not clear how this dragged on for a year. It should have been resolved long ago.
It seems to me you don't use the account much and the bank's fraud detection kicked in as it is supposed to. As you've explained it, I understand exactly why your account was frozen both times.
You are likely unable to close the account because of the active fraud hold. You can resolve this by speaking with them and being patient. They will hold the funds to wait for any current checks or transactions to clear before sending you the balance.

I agree. Find a new bank, preferably something local so you can walk in and actually speak with someone. Most banks these days offer online services if that is a feature you require.
I'm not clear how this dragged on for a year. It should have been resolved long ago.
It seems to me you don't use the account much and the bank's fraud detection kicked in as it is supposed to. As you've explained it, I understand exactly why your account was frozen both times.
You are likely unable to close the account because of the active fraud hold. You can resolve this by speaking with them and being patient. They will hold the funds to wait for any current checks or transactions to clear before sending you the balance.
A direct deposit enter to the account in my name Amazon Kindle payments , They back the money to the sender.
I have a local bank, this account was held for more than a year, of course I have a local bank. I just need to recover my step daughter money, is hers. In the other hand, I was talking to the bank for almost 6 months diary after the problem occurrence until I give up. They alone send me a letter via regular mail last month with a new banking password . These people are fraudulent, and don't like you use your own money.
Just see the bank reviews from people with similar or same problem as mine. Google
Nationwide bank reviews. Mybanktracker

Last edited:
You may not be familiar, but the transactions you describe SHOULD trigger a fraud alert.
I agree it would be frustrating, but not necessarily improper.
If the suspected fraud has been resolved you should have no trouble closing the account. Call and ask the procedure. You may have to submit signed documents making the request.

You may not be familiar, but the transactions you describe SHOULD trigger a fraud alert.
I agree it would be frustrating, but not necessarily improper.
If the suspected fraud has been resolved you should have no trouble closing the account. Call and ask the procedure. You may have to submit signed documents making the request.
yes, I submitted every single document including the letter of intention to close my account. Every time I have call to the bank horrible customer service, they told me to way two business days, next Wednesday, next Monday, and I am tired of sending them the same documents for months. I know what fraud is, but in this case the mine I proof them that not fraud was intended or intentionally to place a third name check in my account. I just want my balance and close this horrible bank. I sent a complaint to the Ohio general attorney, consumer affairs, better business bureau, I just want to close my account and the bank stop getting $5 monthly without advice. The original money was not the same when they reopen for few days the account. They are taking maintenance fees. I am not a banker or lawyer, but something is not correct here. I am claiming the money because I have the right to do so, my step daughter call them with all her paperwork and the bank received a letter saying that her given to me the check to be deposited. I will continue complaining to all pertinent authorities until this bank close my account and send me the balance money less the fees they where taking for months on a frozen account.

That particular bank would have cashed the check for your relative for a $5.00 non-customer fee.

Your relative obviously had identification, because you gave legitimate copies to the bank.

Why didn't your adult relative just go to a local check cashing place, pay a fee, walk out with all of the cash?

Why didn't your relative take the check and her ID and cash the check at Wal-Mart, or many other large grocery stores?

They charge about ten bucks to cash those types of checks.

Heck, your relative could have obtained a pre-paid Visa or Mastercard to which the tax preparer would have loaded her funds.

I'm puzzled why you and your relative chose YOU and YOUR bank to obtain the funds.

Did either of you NOT know the above (and many other options) were available to your relative to get the money owed to her?

That particular bank would have cashed the check for your relative for a $5.00 non-customer fee.

Your relative obviously had identification, because you gave legitimate copies to the bank.

Why didn't your adult relative just go to a local check cashing place, pay a fee, walk out with all of the cash?

Why didn't your relative take the check and her ID and cash the check at Wal-Mart, or many other large grocery stores?

They charge about ten bucks to cash those types of checks.

Heck, your relative could have obtained a pre-paid Visa or Mastercard to which the tax preparer would have loaded her funds.

I'm puzzled why you and your relative chose YOU and YOUR bank to obtain the funds.

Did either of you NOT know the above (and many other options) were available to your relative to get the money owed to her?
My relative don't cashed the check because at the moment of receiving the check she have lost her drivers license, and the check cashed only give her 30 days to be cashed. After place the check in my bank she receive the new drivers license by mail a week after. But I am also responsible for tell her to deposit in the meantime the check in my account because this bank have a third part check service.
In the second place she was only 21 years old with a baby and very inexperienced young she never asked for a debit card to receive the money as you said inside the card, was a stupid thing from her, but what is done is done. Now The bank don't have the right to keep the money, I prefer they send the money to Florida unclaimed properties to give her the chance to claim her money, or close my account and sent the balance to me.
Her social security was printed in the check, we send a copy to the bank. They never response.
Thanks for your help

My relative don't cashed the check because at the moment of receiving the check she have lost her drivers license, and the check cashed only give her 30 days to be cashed. After place the check in my bank she receive the new drivers license by mail a week after. But I am also responsible for tell her to deposit in the meantime the check in my account because this bank have a third part check service.
In the second place she was only 21 years old with a baby and very inexperienced young she never asked for a debit card to receive the money as you said inside the card, was a stupid thing from her, but what is done is done. Now The bank don't have the right to keep the money, I prefer they send the money to Florida unclaimed properties to give her the chance to claim her money, or close my account and sent the balance to me.
Her social security was printed in the check, we send a copy to the bank. They never response.
Thanks for your help

In this country 21 years of age isn't young, and hasn't been since at age 18 all people are emancipated by operation of FEDERAL law as adults.

Pregnancy is no longer considered a disability in this country, because some women clamored for it NOT to so named.

Good luck here, because there are people and companies that will steal every dollar you have, beat you to a pulp, and demand you get more money, or your mother will be raped and killed.

I'm using hyperbole, but i think you get my meaning.

My father always told me, "Bubba, if you don't know their rules, don't play their game."

I hope your love done gets her money, soon.

This has been one sad saga over a lousy $2,500 that should have been given to her in 3 minutes.

Just so you know, if you ever do this again at any bank, don't deposit the check, ask to have it sent for collections.

A proper bank, a real bank and a real banker will know exactly what to do to protect your interests.

Back